Jump to content

Project Blue Light


Scott T
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is our charity that we are donating to this year. I just finished the video last night and I'm working on the others.

So far the donations are coming a long very well. The exciting news is that we have a donor that wants to remain anonymous, who had brothers that served in the armed forces, that is matching dollar for dollar what we get in the donation box.

We also added an on-line Paypal donation. Has anyone had success with on-line donations?

http://www.silverdalelights.com/bluelight.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We never had any success at online donations. What we started doing instead was to provide a link to the charity that we were sponsoring. That worked better and it is likely because they donors knew they were donating directly to the charity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton wrote:

We never had any success at online donations. What we started doing instead was to provide a link to the charity that we were sponsoring. That worked better and it is likely because they donors knew they were donating directly to the charity.

I have a separate PayPal button for each of the three charities we are supporting...that way they can pick which charity their donation goes to...if they don't care which one gets the money, I have a fourth one that I will split all donations.

http://westseattlelights.com/charities.htm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Yes, I see, but my point is that it the PayPal donation still goes to you rather than directly to the charity.

Well...even if you collect cash, you still have to transfer funds to the charity...

Me..I'll just write them one check for both the cash and any PayPal donations I receive.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah yup, I understand. That is what we did at one point (same as your approach). I probably was not being clear in my initial posting. :-) The only thing I was trying to get across was that when we did it, we saw that 4 times more money when to the charity when we simply posted a link to THEIR donation cart rather than collecting the money on PayPal and doing it for them. It was easier for us anyway because we didn't have to handle anything and the charity reported results back to us.

Regardless of how you do it, the process is still honorable :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard Hamilton wrote:

The only thing I was trying to get across was that when we did it, we saw that 4 times more money when to the charity when we simply posted a link to THEIR donation cart rather than collecting the money on PayPal and doing it for them.

I also have links to their websites...

How do the charities know you drove the people to their website?

Do they take the time to look at their stats and where/what website their traffic originated from?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

jimswinder wrote:

I also have links to their websites...

How do the charities know you drove the people to their website?

Do they take the time to look at their stats and where/what website their traffic originated from?


Jim, that is going to depend on the charity and how they do it. The bigger ones are more sophisticated and provide more tools. When we did it for St. Jude, they were able to track it by simply using an "affiliate link" that is tacked on to the end of the URL when a user clicked on our site. The chartity report generator automatically created the reports of hits and purchases.

While most business sites use this approach, we have not seen very many charities do it and that is probably because there is no incentive... no affiliate money ever goes back to the person providing the link.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...