Light-O-Rama Forums

Not sure how to do this with gades...if possible

David Barnett

OOPS..noticed my descript. says Gades...meant FADES:D

Hi folks, decided to play around with a sequence to add to the show.

Using the paste by cell, and paste from foreground; I have my effects were I need them, in my new channel layout.

However, on the sequence I'm using, I felt the particular fade down was a little too long. Cellwise it used 18. I felt that 50%(9cells) looked better with the music.

So, I began to use the fade tool to correct. But when I click on the cell to create the fade down...it selects the entire clicked in cell. Based on his freeform timings, this throws the timing off some. IE: when looking at some of the fade down effects, they''ll start in the middle of the cell block, ie only filling half of the cell for the correct timing. He used a lot of tracks, and I'm copying into a straight fixed time of 0.10.

So is there a way, to adjsut his fades; without screwing up the timing.

Also, if possible. Can I create the fade effect, the copy/paste throught out the rest of my needed cvhannels; without messing up the timing.

When I tried this, I had my 9 cell effect, then copy/pasted in the next cell area needed(this one's effect timing started in the middle of the cell); but when I pasted the effect in using paste by timing/foreground...again it filled the cell area..and I lost my timing again. So ctrl-z everything back to the initial paste.

Ready to try and adjust the length of the efffects without screwing up my timing...if possible.

Thanks for any assistance. Running version 2.8.12

Best,

David

It sounds like you are trying to change the fade in the "original" sequence. If you want the fad to be 1/2 as long;

click in the cell, use "divide cells" command and input 2. This will divide the original cell into 2. input the "new" fade, and copy to your sequence.

Did I understand your question correctly?

Bruce

I would add two timings, one at the time that you want the fade to start, and one at the time you want it to end, and then click-and-drag the fade tool between them.

You can always get rid of the timings later, if you want, or you could even add them to a new or different timing grid (which, if your current timing grid is a fixed grid, you'll actually have to do, since you can't add timings to a fixed grid).

Hi Bob, I added a new freeform timing grid to my fixed..so far so good.

Wish there was an easier way, to adjust all my fades to 1/2 all at once. May try the copy/paste, and get rid of the excess. That will probably be the quickest.

Still a PIA to edit through.:X

Thanks for the help.

Best,

David
EDIT: Well thought I was cooking:X Looks like I still have to add timing mark to cut the fade down 50% unless someone knows of a quicker way to do this.

Maybe someday, we'll have a global change thingy. Dreamin again.:(

Best,

David

Geez, why is it I'm always finding out what the seq. editor won't accomplish;)

Ok, I have my Christmas cannon Rock piano beat I did in the tapper wizard.

I set up fades etc..it all look OK. I used my .10 fixed grid to lay down the beats.

However, in a perfect world they all would have fallen on the .10 beat. of course not the case.

some of them start in the middle of the cell, some towards the edges.

This is a repeating pattern through out the song. Rather than painstakingly going through the individule channel and effects to get my correct timing and chase seq.

Is there some way, I can copy paste just the first event/chase in my other cells. But, they get copied were the present event is positioned in the cell?

I can copy /paste the first section no problem, except it just places the event in the same place.

IE in the first edit, I had my 3 beats on Low,Mid,Hi part of the tree all on at the same time. I want to change that to Low(first beat),Mid(2nd and so on) I have done this at the beginning of the song....this pattern repeats endlessly.

Now on the next beat...it fell right in the middle of the cell, this is my green tree lights low,mid,hi. So, when I pasted the first beat section, it pasted identical to the beginning of the song.

I need it to overlap/paste were the event is in the cell, so i don't loose my timings on the beats through out the song.

any way to accomplish, something like paste into event?

Thanks.

David

David:

I am not sure why you just don't use the timings from the tapper wizard instead of using a fixed timing grid? It seems I am missing something...

That being said, if you still want to use a fixed timing grid, try a different value (ie .09, or .11, etc) and see how the fades lay down.

Greg

Hi Greg. Thanks for the help. I figured by the time I experimented with the fades trying to get them matched; I could go through and edit the fades anyway.

I was just trying to find a way to make things easier. IE if I could have copied and pasted my fade chase..and it overlayed the timings of the other fades through out the song..it would have been much easier.

So, I'm trying to do a little bit at a time till it gets done.

Best,

David

Greg Young wrote:

I am not sure why you just don't use the timings from the tapper wizard instead of using a fixed timing grid? It seems I am missing something...

I was going to say the same thing. Like a lot of LOR users, I started learning sequencing with a fixed timing grid (because this was the best way to use version 1), but when multiple timing grids, the beat wizard, and the ability to have events not tied to timing marks was available, I used them and find sequencing much easier.

David, this should not take much time at all, so experiment by running the Beat Wizard, create a new freeform grid, and select "Insert a timing into..." Then select that timing grid and see if it lines up to where you want to create the fades.

Thanks for the advice Steven. I think my biggest problem I have when posting on these forums. I seem to have a difficult time trying to convey what I'm trying to accomplish. Hence the confusion, usually on you folks trying to help.

Best,

David