Light-O-Rama Forums

Decorating the Block

Redbirdruss

My neighborhood now has at least four different blocks that decorate using a unifying theme. One of them, Candy Cane Lane, has every tree on the block wrapped in Red and White Stripes. They also have signs and elements strung accross the street.
My neighbors have asked me to assist with helping take our block to the next level but I have no idea where to find DIY information for string lights accross our street. Anyone have a good source for that kind of information?

I was also thinking of building a "Tunnel of lights" all the way down our block that was synchronized to music. Any ideas for pulling something like that off?

Before my life got turned upside down I looked into having lights across the road because I've seen it done in other towns and it looks amazing. Let me tell you if your going to do lights across the road CHECK with YOUR town first!

It's not cheap unless you have a very flexible town. When I looked into it they said that the lights across the road had to be above a certain height and if there were arches installed that, they had to be engineered properly and installed properly and we the neighbors had to carry a 5 million liability insurance in case something happened to somebody while they were looking at the lights.

So that pretty much ki-boshed the whole idea.
Anyways, If you can get your town to get behind yah than, make sure you have all of your ducks in a row first before you leap down that road!!!

Look forward to video and pictures of your display though!

-Evan

Although it's a great idea, in my experience it is difficult to get everyone to commit - particularly if there is a cost involved. And you must think "down the road" about what happens when a home sells and the new owners aren't keen on the idea.

A few years ago we discussed this at our end of the block and although there was enthusiasm there was a lack of commitment for a variety of legitimate reasons.

Our solution was just to synchronize my house and the houses on each side of me. My neighbors paid for all the lights and LOR equipment - but I own it and store/maintain everything. One of the houses has sold and I'm fortunate the new owners are fine with me decorating their house and using their power. It's not an arrangement that would work for everyone, but it works for us.

I'm another one of those guys who wishes he could light up the block. I include the neighbor on one side of us in the display. I buy everything and do all the work - he pays the five or 6 bucks for electric. For our own reasons, we both think it's worth it and it looks pretty good. I worry about what if he sells, but then I could die tomorrow, so I'll deal with it if it happens. But other than that, and despite my aspirations, I'm pretty well boxed in.

The neighbors on the other side haven't said ten words to us since 2008 when I made fun of them for putting out one of those 6 channel Mr Microphone systems, which they bought AFTER I told them during the summer what I was doing that year. Too bad, though - their yard is half the block and would be a great addition - but it is what it is. (Sharon doesn't like them much anyway.) The properties across the street are rentals with even less front yards than ours.