Light-O-Rama Forums

Not the kind of light show people were expecting....

radioguy1007

Last night I looked outside to see a light show of the wrong kind. The viewing place for my show is a road that goes between two ponds. No houses on either side, just water. Should be perfect for visitors, right? But I've had viewers that park on the wrong side of the street for a "better view". Well, last night we were having a bad storm, mostly rain in Southeast Wisconsin. I don't know what happened, but someone plowed into one of the parked viewers. This car was parked on the wrong side of the street, but there really was not much else out there. The village responded with 5 squads, an ambulance, and their big bucket fire engine. It was quite a show, but not the one I wanted to see. After all was done, both vehicles involved just drove away. Yes there was front end damage to both, but thankfully no injuries. Speed limit on the street is 25 MPH.

I know I can't control people from doing things wrong, but I just feel that this will cause the HOA to have a discussion on my lights. It's not like it has been blocking the road, the most I have seen this year has been 6 vehicles at once. The maority all park legally on the right side of the street. Last night because of the weather the display was poorly attended. But all it takes is one.

This is not the light show I wanted to see. I've had so many positive compliments on the lights since moving into the area 2 years ago. I thought the viewing location was near perfect. My wife is making me feel like I should tear the whole thing down.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r3sfdj7pb840&lvl=18&dir=180&sty=b&where1=53406%2C%20WI&q=53406

Mike

Wow thats really to bad on the accident glad no on was hurt, but you are right what a great location. i assume that most of the display is in the back yard then. do you have any videos?
just curious which house is yours

My wife is making me feel like I should tear the whole thing down.

Feelings come and go. Look at the facts: You must have one heck of a show for that kind of turnout! Stand strong and focus on the facts.

Guest Don Gillespie

radioguy1007 wrote. My wife is making me feel like I should tear the whole thing down.

Don't get down about this I actually go outside and tell people to park the proper way because ( I make this part up) my nieghbor who is a bylaw officer will ticket you seems to work for me but I have also come to the conclusion that I am not responsible for all the drivers. oh and by the way my nieghbor is the bylaw officer

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The thing that really is troublesome is that as far as I know, there was only this one car out there at the time. The storm hitting the midwest was hitting us big time, but with rain and not snow last night, keeping visitors at home. The display is not all that great compared to a lot of the ones I've seen on here. Yes, it is different because it is synchronized, so it does attract visitors, maybe 2 or 3 cars at most. My house is the second one East from the corner of Taurus and Williamsburg. The display is in the back yard, as the viewing area on Taurus between the ponds is great for at least 10 vehicles. No blocking of anybody's drives. I thought it was near perfect show location. How this happened is hard to understand.

I have not made any videos yet from this year, but there are sone rough ones up on Vimeo from last year's display. Here is one:

http://vimeo.com/7982694

The pond has frozen over now, so the reflections are not there anymore.

Mike

Guest Don Gillespie

radioguy1007 wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The thing that really is troublesome is that as far as I know, there was only this one car out there at the time. The storm hitting the midwest was hitting us big time, but with rain and not snow last night, keeping visitors at home. The display is not all that great compared to a lot of the ones I've seen on here. Yes, it is different because it is synchronized, so it does attract visitors, maybe 2 or 3 cars at most. My house is the second one East from the corner of Taurus and Williamsburg. The display is in the back yard, as the viewing area on Taurus between the ponds is great for at least 10 vehicles. No blocking of anybody's drives. I thought it was near perfect show location. How this happened is hard to understand.

I have not made any videos yet from this year, but there are sone rough ones up on Vimeo from last year's display. Here is one:

http://vimeo.com/7982694

The pond has frozen over now, so the reflections are not there anymore.

Mike

Great job mike looks really well done don't worry about the accident because thats all it was for the most part people watch where they going

radioguy1007 wrote:

The display is not all that great compared to a lot of the ones I've seen on here.

Mike,

1) Sorry about the accident but as you know, you can not enforce common sense. once things calm down your wife will realize that too. Do you have any voice overs? you can put up one about parking, and maybe a please park across the street sign or two?

2) that's an awesome show! there a lot of us newbees here who see your show as something to aspire to.

I could see why somebody would park on the wrong side of the street since it would probably create a better viewing angle. I would be hesitant to use signage since that can create a liability for you (now if the HOA wants to that is their problem). But you could probably include some voiceovers stating to obey traffic laws, including to stay on the right side of the street. That way you aren't accepting any liability for telling people how/where to park but are covering your tail in a sense by telling people to follow the law (which they should do anyways, but they can't somehow turn it back on you).

Oops guess what? Just had an accident outside in front of my house. It envolved two cars. One car struck the other coming out of the side street. No injuries and one car is being towed away. I hope they weren't distracted by the lights. I shut everything down. Too many flasing lights from the police cars and tow trucks. Don't want anyone plowing into anyone.

The real problem I see is that you KNOW there are kids in many of the cars. Yes, speeds are down. But our shows could be considered a distaction, and that is what worries me.

I do have a new voiceover going in the show tonight urging compliance with all traffic regulations, and to remember to turn on headlights when leaving. This should be common sense.

Mike