Light-O-Rama Forums

wizards of winter

Bernie S.

Not a problem.
Welcome to the insanity!
it's my first year with LOR too, I'm running 32 channels. I took the LOR 16, and based that to sequence in the other 16 so it could me "mine"

Bernie S. wrote:

O thanks so much, this is my first year im still learning.

When the season ends or when you've got some time check out the Beat Wizard. Before you listen to any of the naysayers about how well the beat wizard does or does not work, check out my videos and see for yourself. I think in three years there's only one song (out of 90+) where I didn't use it. When you get to the point where you can do a better job than the wizard can, congratulations!

George, I have rarely used the beat wizard although I haven't sequenced that many songs. But my question to you is, do you let the beat wizard set your timing or do you just have it create a beat track. Also, is there a good tutorial for that wizard. This year(or should I say Holiday Season 2011) I want to have alot more songs. Currently I have 8 that I cycle every half hour but I want more, ALOT more.

I get discouraged easily when I am sequencing because it seems to take me so long just to do one song. I need to find easier ways to do them so I can do them faster.

George Simmons wrote:

Bernie S. wrote:
O thanks so much, this is my first year im still learning.

When the season ends or when you've got some time check out the Beat Wizard. Before you listen to any of the naysayers about how well the beat wizard does or does not work, check out my videos and see for yourself. I think in three years there's only one song (out of 90+) where I didn't use it. When you get to the point where you can do a better job than the wizard can, congratulations!

Thanks George, I will do that. I need to start playing with tracks too. This is going to be a busy off season ....

kzaas wrote:

But my question to you is, do you let the beat wizard set your timing or do you just have it create a beat track.

Those two things are pretty much the same unless you're asking something different than what I'm reading. What the beat wizard does is determine the timing of the beats and then it places a timing mark in the track you're running it in for each of those beats.

It works best on songs that have a steady tempo. On songs that don't you might have to run it for one section of the song at a time. In some cases, especially early in the song, you might have to manually move the timings a snick or two to align with the wave form. But overall, it does a bang-up job and works somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred thousand times better than I'll ever become with the tapper.

When I create a new sequence, I always create a "beat" track. This is the first one I work on, running the beat wizard and making any needed modifications as noted above. I turn on every other cell so I can easily see where each beat begins and ends. Once I've finished with it, I NEVER MODIFY IT AGAIN. What I use this for is to copy/paste the timing to other tracks as I work on them. I also move the beat track up and down so I have it directly above the track I'm programming. That way, no matter how many segments I might divide beats into for a given display element (7 for arches, 9 for poles, etc.) I've always got a quick visual reference where the beat begins and ends. Because there's no telling where I might use it last and leave it, I've learned it's best for me to delete the beat track after I finish sequencing that song rather than risk screwing things up when I copy the final lcc file into that sequence in November.

Hope this helps. YMMV

Thanks so muck for all the information. I tried to use the beat wizard before can you set the grid, I used it on a carol of the bells piano instrumental song. The the timing was half a second blocks which were almost to large. Any advice on that?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The beat wizard is going to give you timing marks that vary in length from one song to the next depending on the tempo of the song. A fixed timing grid will give you timing marks according to how far apart you want them with total disregard for the tempo of the song.

I used the beat wizard maybe the tempo was not hard or steady enough Im not sure but a lot of the beats were just a little late on where the breaks were. Im having a hard time with the terminology. i hope you can understand what im saying. Do you know of any good sequences tutorials?

Sounds like maybe you've chosen a song where the beat wizard doesn't return optimal results. This might be a case where you have to manually move some of the beats to line up with the waveform.

If that's the case, in the sequence editor go to EDIT > TIMINGS and see if there's a check mark next to LOCK TIMINGS. If there is, remove it and then you can drag the timing marks to the right or left to match up better with the waveform. To do that pause your mouse over the timing mark and you'll see arrows come up. Click, hold, and drag the timing to where you want it. When you're finished, to make your life easier and avoid inadvertant moving of timings, go back and re-check the lock timings option.

Ok another question a little off topic for this thread but, is there a way to mirror a set of commands like if you fade everything on then want it to reverse back off?

Also how does the chase button work I couldn't find anything about it in the help section?