Light-O-Rama Forums

question about adapter

Guest guest

i have the serial to cat 5 adapter that came with the starter kit,

i have noticed that when i run sequences from the sequence editor sometimes the lights will lag a little bit here and there, i have unchecked move grid with play, this is an older computer, not sure right now what the specs are on it,

i have not tried it running shows, as i know some people said slower cpus will not have the lag while running shows, but my question is, i know usb is able to transmit data faster, i have open usb ports on my computer, would i see the lag disappear if i used the usb adapter, or is it all determined on my processor??

bob

Robert Cox wrote:

i have the serial to cat 5 adapter that came with the starter kit,

i have noticed that when i run sequences from the sequence editor sometimes the lights will lag a little bit here and there, i have unchecked move grid with play, this is an older computer, not sure right now what the specs are on it,

i have not tried it running shows, as i know some people said slower cpus will not have the lag while running shows, but my question is, i know usb is able to transmit data faster, i have open usb ports on my computer, would i see the lag disappear if i used the usb adapter, or is it all determined on my processor??

bob

I don't know of anyone who has had trouble with lag while running a show. I ran 80 channels last year on an old P2 machine, with 256mb memory. CPU speed less that 500mhz, I'm sure. The show portion takes up very little CPU processor power.

Before spending more money, try running a show with the adaptor and see what happens. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Hi Robert,

I have both the Serial/RS485 and the USB high power adapter.
I use an old 600MHZ laptop. Both adapters have a lag when playing
sequences with the sequence editor. When a show is set up and
played through the scheduler, there is NO delay with either adapter.

Like Don said, try it with the show editor and scheduler.

Don't worry, Be happy ! :)

Tim