Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter dn another newbie question.

Scott Stegall

First thanks to everyone who has responded to my other questions. I am having a lot of fun pulling all this together and my grown kids are helping. Its fun to see the results.

First I am using a mobile blackbox FM transmitter. I upgraded from the whole house because of the frequency limitations on the one I had. Even with a 50ft cord to move the box up to the front of the house the reception in the street is fairly poor. Is there a booster or relay some other trick that would improve the output?

Second I have been modifying some of the shared sequences. I only use a single 16 channel controller which is fine for what I do. In some of the sequences there are 3 or 4 controllers (or more). If I use the sequence editor and change all the controller commands to controller1 how will it handle the overlapping commands? In other words it would seem to put multiple commands on the same channel at the same time. Will it ignore extra commands, try to do everything at once, create a hole in the space-time continuem?

Scott Stegall wrote:

If I use the sequence editor and change all the controller commands to controller1 how will it handle the overlapping commands?

If you have two (or more) channels with the same unit/channel configuration you will get unpredictable results.

For example, if you have to channels for Unit1/Channel1 and at the same time you have it fading up and fading down, what will happen? Don't know. The results will differ. It's best to avoid having the same unit/channel defined in your sequence.

Start out with a short into of an existing 16 channel seq. Assign the channels to your channel configuration. Save it. Then go to the edit tab and then to export channel configuration.

Open the new sequence you want to edit down from a higher channel count. Delete out the channels that you dont want. Save it. Now import the channel configuration you exported earlier. This will assign the channels to what you had deleting the original controller and channel configuration.

I also use the Eclipse 4000, I sometimes wonder if I will be getting a knock on my door because of the range, about 3-4 blocks.

shfr26 wrote:

I also use the Eclipse 4000, I sometimes wonder if I will be getting a knock on my door because of the range, about 3-4 blocks.

Very unlikely unless you are interferring with reception of a licensed FM station, and someone complains...

Greg

yes, Scott,

What radio, and what antenna do you have? I also have the 4000 and have great range. So, its like how could anyone with a MBB be having problems. Also where in the house is the transmitter. Is it on the floor or on a desk or on a shelve near the ceiling? If you have the telescoping antenna, is it all the way extended? Also is it either with the tip pointing straight up or down? Or is it going left or right? It works best if the tip is up or down.