Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller won't shut off

Richard Esposito

This is my second year. I have a 1602 controller running a simple show. Channel 1 turns on a relay that controls most of my display. 2 through 10 control a megatree. Last year I had to plug in a set of minis on Channel 1 to take care of problems turning the relay on and off. This year, I can't get the controller to shut the channels off even when the verifier says that the show has ended. I tried resetting the controller but still the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Triacs are not really good devices to control inductive loads. A inductive load will produce a large voltage spike when power is removed from it. This spike might exceed the maximum voltage that the triac is made to work with. This spike will cause the triac to fuse together it's input and output thus it appears to be always on. I suspect this is what has happened to your display. Get rid of the relay/contactor and get a solid state relay and have channel 1 turn this on. But first you need to get a new triac and replace the one on your controller. Now, you also might need a pull down resistor on the SSR's input. This will help put a load on the controllers triac so that it can turn off and it will drop the voltage so that the SSR is not being turned on by a ghost voltage (leakage from the triac, solid state devices dont turn off 100%, more like 99.5% off).

Max Paul

I anticipate I will have the same issue, as I plan on running an induction motor on one of the channels.

Would it be correct in saying that one channel will be used exclusively for the SSR turning on a second 110 power source?

Is there a way to predict what source may or may not damage the triac...based upon amperage consumption of the motor? Or, would any size possibly damage the triac?

Or, is there a device that would allow ac power to flow one way, and when it shuts off....closes and eliminates any spikes that could damage the triac... like a check valve in a plumbing supply line?
thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found the answer on another of LOR forums. I just needed to check the box in the show editor to turn off used lights at the end of the sequence. I will also look into a solid state relay.

I have been controlling 2 relays with an 8 channel controller for 3 years with no problems. One relay is a latching relay that controls the direction of a 1/2 hp motor. Guess I am just lucky. One side note the relays are on for no more than one second.

grandlakedad wrote:

I have been controlling 2 relays with an 8 channel controller for 3 years with no problems. One relay is a latching relay that controls the direction of a 1/2 hp motor. Guess I am just lucky. One side note the relays are on for no more than one second.

I've used a small 120V coil relay to pulse the low-voltage power which fire my larger strobes since 2003 (well before the CMB-16 and other DC boards were available). Maybe I'm lucky too :)