Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel 15 on my LOR controller is stuck on, won't shut off

jeffostroff

I put my controllers away last year and they worked fine. This year I pulled out my MP3 LOR1602W main controller and set it up and everything works well on it accept for channel 15, which when it goes on, it stays on, will not fade, shut off or anything else.

In LOR Hardware program I try to single it out and set it on, and it comes on, but I can't get it to fade to 0%, or shut off. If I tell it to twinkle, it sort of flickers but that's it.

I have the 4.32 version of bios that I had upgraded to last year, and it worked fine then.

There is no moisture anywhere, it has no rained for a week, and I keep a box over all my lor controllers which are already in the heavy duty metal boxes anyway.

Has anyone dealt with this issue and what did you do to fix it?

I am hoping I don't have to go in and solder another triac, it's a major deal taking apart the whole controller to get at the triacs.

Quick update, I just ran a test on it with regular incandescent lights, and the output still does not shut off, I measured that the voltage drops from 120 v to 60v on this stuck channel 15.

it just drops to about 50% dim. You could see that with LEds because as long as there is some voltage the LEDS will stay on, but with older lights, a lower voltage will just dim them.

So it is trying to shut off, just something in the circuit board appears to no be able to shut the voltage all the way downto 0.

That's a classic symptom of a blown triac. It's a relatively easy repair of you solder, but needs to be sent back to LOR if you don't (and don't know anyone who does).

Before you resort to that, though, try resetting the controller. Sometimes that works...

I have soldered a triac before, and while soldering a new one is easy, it's getting to it that is a real pain, you have to take everything apart, and it's on the bottom side of the PCB.

jeffostroff wrote:

I have soldered a triac before, and while soldering a new one is easy, it's getting to it that is a real pain, you have to take everything apart, and it's on the bottom side of the PCB.

I hear you. It's not hard, but it's tedious.

The trick is to figure out why it blew in the first place. Since you use LED's, I'm guessing it wasn't overloaded. A short circuit (like a bad cord) will often kill them. Or it could have been just bad luck/bad part.