Light-O-Rama Forums

Power capacity

Scott Stegall

Now that I am picking up speed and getting organized I am thinking of ways of adding some wow to my display. I have this vague idea of using 10 or 12 simple stick-in-the-ground outdoor landscaping spotlights in different colors, point them towards the road (generally...don't want to blind anyone) and sequence them.
A couple of years ago I remember some discussions about power capacity but I can't remember (or find) any of the answers. Even if the LOR can carry it I'm not sure a single circuit on the house could. Any way your help is as always appreciated.

The datasheets for each of the products provides what you are looking for.
http://www.lightorama.com/Documentation.html
For instance: CTB16PC

8 amps per channel with Reg heat sink
15 amps per bank with reg heat sink
15 amp single power feed or 30 amp total dual power feed

For wow-factor.. why not:

1) Put the floods into translucent boxes (storage tubs) and have them pop color across the yard? Different color tubs dancing across the yard, you could put different colors on different channels in the same box, would make it look like the tub changes color.

2) Point them at the house/garage doors, throwing colors on the walls (definately wont blind drivers)

3) Mount them on a pvc pipe frame so they look like musical notes.

4) Walmart has 2' pre-tinselled minitrees, $6/ea.. wrap each with a couple sets of white lights.. (leave the tinsel on for daytime appeal. plug them into your channels, have them run across the yard.. mini-trees, really good for wow-factor..

Lots of things to do instead.. point lights at people, they wont stay..

Scott Stegall wrote:

Now that I am picking up speed and getting organized I am thinking of ways of adding some wow to my display. I have this vague idea of using 10 or 12 simple stick-in-the-ground outdoor landscaping spotlights in different colors, point them towards the road (generally...don't want to blind anyone) and sequence them.
A couple of years ago I remember some discussions about power capacity but I can't remember (or find) any of the answers. Even if the LOR can carry it I'm not sure a single circuit on the house could. Any way your help is as always appreciated.

Go with LED spots and you won't even need to worry about power consumption.

I have red, green, and blue in my landscape fixtures, looks fantastic. Highly recommend the spots from Christmas in Kent.

I agree with TJ..focus the light on the display..

Scott, if you would, please go into your Profile and put in your city, or at least State so we can tell what pitfalls you might have with operating and location.. it matters..

I'm still a newbie but this was passed on to me by a fellow member:

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

This is worth every penny. With a well set up display you can ensure you don't exceed the 8 amps per channel or 15 amps per side. Just thought I would share with you. I didn't want to second guess myself and this allowed me to get to 14,000 lights this year w/o exceeding the capacity.

Best wishes!