Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 Light Strings

PaulTM

Hello All,

A VERY NEW newcomer to this stuff. We are too late for this year but are commited to getting all our ducks in a row for next year's holiday decorating season. In preparation I wonder if I could ask a few questions first one is purely for this years static display at our NEW home. This is the first Christmas in the house so the decorating plans have been fuzzy at best :-)

I am running C9 light strings across the roofline and when I get to the end I have about half a string left and nowhere to go with it. Is it safe/acceptable to just cut it off at the female end?? Powered off before cutting it of course, but would this ruin the light string in anyway or introduce any concern?? These are incandescent lights I am talking about.

Thank you all and I am sure to have MANY MANY MORE LOR related Q's over the coming months as we prep for our killer display next year :-)

Thanks,
Paul

No problems at all cutting it wherever you need to. Get a vampire plug and attach it to the cut off part and you've got a useable mini string as well.

I have almost 700 C9 bulbs on my house.

One option is to have custom length C9 strings.

I bought a 1,000' of C9 sockets 6" apart, have 2 strings of lights per section. One for white and one for red. The ends I have attached vampire plugs to.

I have also built custom tracks.

If you are interested ... take a look at some photos .... http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/lights

Ask as many questions as needed !!

Dave

jlowe wrote:

Does cutting also work for LED strings?

Depends on what you are talking about .... I have LED C9 retro bulbs so the sockets are treated like any other string ... cut to the length you need and put a female vampire plug on the end.

Store bought strings .. I think not but someone else can confirm !

Dave

jlowe wrote:

Does cutting also work for LED strings?

Generally speaking, most LED strings (except some LED C9's as described above) aren't designed to be altered. I've learned a good rule of thumb that's kept me out of trouble over the years when it comes to things electronic: if I'm dumb enough not to know whether sometihing can be done then my best bet is to proceed as though it CAN'T be done.