Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels to circuits

dkoehler42

I've got a question, the instructions suggest not using more than 8 channels if you don't have 2 separate circuits to plug into. Is there any truth to that, or would I be okay using 13 channels on one circuit with two cords plugged in?

Depends on how many and what kind of lights. Normal house circuit is 15 or 20 amps. Each side of your controller is either rated for either 15 or 20 amps, depending on what kind you have. Get a Kill a Watt meter to see how many amps use are using on eack side and each channel.

I have 3 controllers plugged into one 15 amp outlet.

BUT I know that all my lights on those controllers are less than the 15 amps.

Use a kill a watt and make sure.

I use the PC controllers and they have the big heat sinks that handle 15 amps per side (8 channels) or 30 amps total.

I keep up with my three controllers on a spreadsheet and use a meter to verify the spreadsheet. None of them has more than 15 amps total on the entire controller.

I had four 20 amp GFI circuits installed. Even if I pulled more than 20 amps on a controller, that would be full load and none of my controllers are under full load for more than 1-2 seconds at any given time.

The point I was going to make and didn't seem to after reading my post:

I run both sides of the controller one one circuit if the total load doesn't exceed the capacity of my circuit breaker (and probably wouldn't be concerned if I ran over that capacity by 10-15%). I certainly want to stay within the 15 amp range on the left and right sections of the controller.

Thanks. They're kind of foreboding about it, almost as though a horrible demon will come after you if you do it. I've had more than 8 channels with one circuit before, and it's a newb question...even if I'm not a newb.

In any event, I used the suggestions from the LOR manual and an Excel spreadsheet, and my 13 channels only pull in about 6 amps total.