Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR160xW - Lights Stay On - Firmware Issue

Trey Drysdale

At the moment, I'm testing my light pole which uses up 5 channels on my LOR160xW controller. At times, when turned on, during a sequence, or when no action is going on, 2 particular channels stay on.

I have done much research and have looked for updates for my firmware (but there isn't any available apart from 4.01. This does tend to work for one run through of a sequence, but then it just happens again. I've also tried resetting my controller which didn't work either.

What should I do?

(PS - I bought my controller off of Ebay and live in the UK. The seller said there was nothing wrong with it. I have no possible way of sending Light-O-Rama my controller to be fixed.)

Those appear to be LEDs. Chances are pretty good they aren't drawing enough current to turn the channel off. You will need some sort of a snubber. The easiest thing to do is place a string of standard incandescent lights (mini lights usually) at the end of the string. Try the sequence again and see if the channel turns off.

That may be true, however, I have 5 of the same set wrapped around a pole (like a leaping arch but straight) and it appears to be 2 sets in particular that do this, the others are fine.

If it was true, I'd say that the working sets have enough current to turn themselves off, but the other 2 non-working sets don;'t have enough current - but how is this possible if each set is and works exactly the same?

I just watched the lights run through a few of my sequences and the problem seems to happen when the itensity levels differ from 100% and 0% (Example: Fading continously from 100% down to 50% and up again causes the problem).

Does this tell you anything?

I assume that you are registered owner of the LOR software. Part of the distribution of the software is the most recent firmware at the time of the release.

If you go into the hardware utility and select firmware on the lower right of the utility. Then follow the steps as they are numbered. When you get to step 2, when you click the open button you will get a list of all firmware. Make sure to select the file that fits your controller. I have found this process pretty fool proof. If you select the incorrrect one it will tell you.

Chuck

I might be having the same problem. Everything was fine and has been for 2 years on this controller. Yesterday, I went to turn off the lights, and 1 channel of my ctb16 won't turn off. It will dim to about 50% (approximate) and not turn off. It will still shimmer, fade from 100% to half, etc. It just will not turn completely off. I have cycles power everywhere, installed the latest firmware, and tried different lights on the channel. Even with 1 incandescent, it behaves this way. Any ideas, or is it just a bad channel on the controller?

Chuck, I bought my 16 channel showtime controller off of an Ebay seller in the UK, so I don't think I am or the previous owner is a registered LOR owner, because the firmware is never updated, everytime I get to Stage 2, it only offers me CTB16DV_Blue_v40.1 and nothing higher...

RonSusie, I have so many thoughts what may be causing this issue, I am just hoping it is not faulty channels (LOR is rare to get in the UK). I have come to a thought that either the Cat5 Cable is faulty or producing too much noise which is interferring with the channel outlets, or it is a faulty channel.

Anybody can help me this question - do you reckon if I get a new Cat5Cable (not particularily the ones from LOR) do you think the problem might go away?

Trey,

Did you purchase the software from the person on ebay also? That is my point. Might be worth contact to LOR to se if they can asisst. There is also nothing that I know of that stops you from downloading the firmware from the support page on the main LOR website.

RonSusie,

Your problem sounds like it is a blown triac. The triac is the component on the board that has the screw holding it to the heatsink. If you are handy you can change that out. Contact LOR and they may be willing to ship you the part.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck - I didn't realise you could get the latest firmware off the LOR website - how stupid of me haha!

I'll let you know if updating the firmware to 4.30 works for me. If not then I guess it comes down to blown or faulty triacs.