Guest guest

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• iresq

• cattlefarmboy

I have contacted Dan recently pertaining to the new firmware. He does recommend that you upgrade to the new version. NOTE: there are 2 downloads for the boards. One if the board is green (green button) and the other if the board is blue (blue button).

Don't make the mistake I made! I downloaded the firmware and used my current hardware utility to install. The version I had for the hardware utility is the version that shipped on the CD with the USB486B adapter. All went well with loading the firmware to the boards. Then I did a refresh, the hardware utility showed unknown for the controllers that I upgraded. It was at this point that I emailed Dan.

You will also need to download the hardware utility upgrade. This download includes a config file that will allow the hardware utility to reorganize the new firmware.

One of the items that I know is addressed in this firmware release, no more flicker when fading my LED lights.

Chuck

Dan/John,

So What is exactly the purpose of the new firmware? Chuck has said "No led flicker when fading". Anything else you can tell us? Just like logan said, 'Do we even NEED to upgrade the firmware?"

Thanks!

--Daniel L

Well, each type of board does take it's own firmware.

For kicks and at the risk of me messing something up, I did try the blue firmware in my green boards. I know stupid thing! The response I received in the hardware utility was Invalid bootstrap.

In a previous discussion with Dan, he mentioned to me that the newer boards have a larger power supply for the accessories such as the easy light linker. I believe the blue board is that such board. But that is all I can really see with my eyes...the rest is in those smoke containers.....you know the devices that when you let the smoke out, they no longer work! :smile:

Chuck

Becky,

I created a folder inside my LOR folder and title the new folder LOR upgrades.

I had no problem with the utility installing from there.

Firmware should go into the firmware folder inside the LOR folder.

Chuck

Daniel wrote:

Dan/John,

So What is exactly the purpose of the new firmware? Chuck has said "No led flicker when fading". Anything else you can tell us? Just like logan said, 'Do we even NEED to upgrade the firmware?"

Thanks!

--Daniel L

I'm thinking the same thing. Is there any reason for me to upgrade my boards if I am not using LED's?

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

Daniel wrote:
Dan/John,

Thanks!

--Daniel L

I'm thinking the same thing. Is there any reason for me to upgrade my boards if I am not using LED's?

Unless you are using LEDs or Inductive loads like motors OR have some issue with the controllers there is no need to upgrade.

FYI

I just did the upgrade for both the blue controller boards (4) and ELL's (4) also went without a hitch.

Does anyone know what the ELL firmware upgrade improves or adds?

Thanks

Steve

Steve Hoyt wrote:

[snip]
[snip]

A bug in the original firmware was corrected. The bug had to do with certain character sequences that could not making it through the link. This bug caused some commands to be filtered out and thus being missed.

Everyone that has an ELL firmware version lower than 2.8 should upgrade. Also the new Hardware Utility is more friendly with the ELLs. It automatically detects the ELL and switch baud rates to match the ELL configuration. It also updates ELL firmware better than the previous version.

Do you have to upgrade each board individually or can you do it when you have them all hooked up?

Also, if you have both the blue and green boards how do you seperate them during the upgrade. Will it ask board color?

Ok now really confused. There are 3 firmware buttons, then a blue firmware, and a green firmware. Which ones do you download if you have both. You would think I would understand this must have been the heat today.

LightORama wrote:

Steve Hoyt wrote:
[snip]
[snip]

A bug in the original firmware was corrected. The bug had to do with certain character sequences that could not making it through the link. This bug caused some commands to be filtered out and thus being missed.

Everyone that has an ELL firmware version lower than 2.8 should upgrade. Also the new Hardware Utility is more friendly with the ELLs. It automatically detects the ELL and switch baud rates to match the ELL configuration. It also updates ELL firmware better than the previous version.

I am a user of the ELL's and have them working in my Halloween display. I worked with John this summer and we identified the problems with some of my sequences and John fixed them all. 2.8 has been performing FLAWLESS! I highly suggest what Dan has said - upgrade your firmware for no surprises.

Mike

It will ask you to select the board you want to upgrade .If you know what boards they are just select then do your upgrade to it. I saved my firmware to my desktop When you do yours Robin you can do the same then just select the firmware for the appropriate board

LightORama wrote:

Unless you are using LEDs or Inductive loads like motors OR have some issue with the controllers there is no need to upgrade.

I was planning to use X10 for a gobo projector, but does this mean I can now use an empty LOR channel to run the gobo motor? Is it safe to use LOR for the blower on an inflatable after the upgrade?