Light-O-Rama Forums

Major Fuse Problem!

Robert G.

My 2nd controller's fuse popped and somehow it broke inside the fuse holder. I got the front half out but the back part is still in and I don't know how to get it out. I unscrewed the metal plate and loosened the fuse holder but there's important wires on it and I don't know what to touch even if I am able to take this piece out. Otherwise, how do I fix this?? Thanks.

first before doing anything. Unplug the power going to the controller. Always do this first when working within the controller box. Ok I presume you have one of the controllers that is in a metal box and the fuse holder is in the front plate with the switch. Once you have taken the cap off and only got the front half. All you should have to do with the fuse holders of this type that I am familiar with is this. Turn the opening down and give the holder / box a few lite taps. Should fall out on its own but a tap might help. There is nothing that I know of that would grip and hold the back half. The back inside of the holder is like a large rivet with a spring to push against the end of the fuse. So, it should just fall out.

Oh do not hold your hand under the hole. Let the glass and all fall onto some spread out newspaper or what not.

Havent tried this. But does a standard #2 pencil, eraser first fit in the holder? Again no power applied, right. Eraser first in the holder and then push and twist. See if that will break it loose. Again opening down and see if it will fall out. Might need a few tries. Once you get it out. examine it and shine light down the holder. If it looks black, or burnt / melted. Then replace the holder. If the pencil is to large a wooden dowel rod that is the right size and try to dislodge the bottom end.

Last resort will be just to replace the holder. Cant say I have ever heard of this happening. But there is always a first for everything.

I've tried a few tools to shake it loose, but did nothing. I'll try the pencil tomorrow though. Is there a way to take the wires off and access the holder from behind? I'm not trying to exaggerate, but it is truly stuck in there. How? I don't know...

The EZ Out fits inside a piece of metal and is kind of like a reverse drill bit. It should grab the inside of the metal part of the fuse and you should be able to pull it out.

I thank everyone for their tips. Last night I put a small amount of WD-40 in the fuse holder, which someone suggested, and today I went to tackle the problem. Found a metal stake on the table and it was just the right size. I put it in and the fuse popped right out first try. I can now continue my display. =)