Light-O-Rama Forums

Show stopped

Ed Slonka Jr

Hi Everyone and hope all had a great Thanksgiving. Had a problem last night I have not experienced before.

I am running v2.8.12. Went live on Thanksgiving night without a problem and ran Friday too without a hitch the show ran well both evenings but last evening was different.

Was 90 minutes into the show when my it quit running. It had finished the second or third song in a show of 12 when I noticed the next song did not start. I went to the computer to check the status window and it was totally blank and LOR was not responding.:shock: I had to reboot the computer and the show ran OK the rest of the evening.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WayneKremer

• rgardner518

• jeffl

• Ed Slonka Jr

That's the strange thing. It's the same laptop I have been using for three years with all the same settings except for upgrading LOR from the lower versions.

That is why I am confused about what happened. I have not changed a thing as far as the pc goes except I added one more controller for a total of six this year.

Ed Slonka Jr wrote:

Was 90 minutes into the show when my it quit running. It had finished the second or third song in a show of 12 when I noticed the next song did not start. I went to the computer to check the status window and it was totally blank and LOR was not responding.:shock: I had to reboot the computer and the show ran OK the rest of the evening.

Mountainwxman wrote:
It could have been a freak moment in the pc world.

If it only happened that one time, then I think Mountainwxman gave the answer.

Could have been a brief powersurge or a 1000 other freak moments that occurred.

Interesting -- my show started on Thanksgiving also --- no problems with the Controller/Scheduler/Shows ---- until tonight --- the show just started to only play a few seconds of songs right in the middle of the show --- rebooted the computer and things seemed ok, but then after a few songs, the same thing again. Its been doing it many times tonight -- never had this problem before. Same computer [Win XP Pro SP3] as the previous 4 years --- the only difference is LOR 2.8.12. Hope this gremlin goes away soon --- I may not be able to leave the house during the show.

Jim

Running the same version here on Win7. Last nights show performed as it should. Tonight, the sequences started to load MUCH slower (at least 10 seconds between each) even though I haven't changed anything.

One of the interesting things that occurred, it that it started the first 1/2 second of the sequence before the actual video got loaded (since I use video in my show), then it turned the lights off....then waited for the video to load (10 seconds later) and then finally ran the sequence.

Unloading LOR and reloading it didn't seem to fix the issue. Rebooting the machine did fix it. At first I thought it may be Microsoft's anti-virus (MSE), so I added the entire LOR folder to the exclusion list. That didn't help. There may be a memory leak taking up resources....not sure.

Wayne -- thanks for sharing your experience -- because, yours is EXACTLY what happened to me [i just didn't want to go into the details]. My show was running perfect from Thanksgiving until Sunday night --- then, I noticed a 15 second delay between songs --- then, I noticed the lights come on for a few seconds before the song started -- then songs only played for about 5 seconds and quit, moving on the the same 'loop' described above. Of course, the first thing I assumed was a memory issue and I rebooted -- then I removed items from startup that could suck up memory. My problem did not go away tho ... will try tests today, but bummer if I can't fix things soon :(

Thanks for your input tho

Jim

I had the same exact problem tonight. It works the first night, then the next night, sequences load very slow, start the first part of the sequence, then stop, wait for the load to complete, then start playing again. I can confirm that unloading the LOR control panel and re-entering it does not fix the problem. A reboot fixes it. Sounds like we should put in a help desk ticket. :)

WayneKremer wrote:

I had the same exact problem tonight. It works the first night, then the next night, sequences load very slow, start the first part of the sequence, then stop, wait for the load to complete, then start playing again. I can confirm that unloading the LOR control panel and re-entering it does not fix the problem. A reboot fixes it. Sounds like we should put in a help desk ticket. :)

Have you tried the pre-load sequences option in the Show Editor?

Otherwise, it sounds like a memory leak in the computer.

JBullard wrote:

Have you tried the pre-load sequences option in the Show Editor?

Otherwise, it sounds like a memory leak in the computer.

I would be interested to know what the common factor is. I've got two remote displays that have not any of the troubles listed in this thread.

I can definitely try pre-loading the sequences, but chose not to since my sequence and video files are rather large. But it's worth a try. :)

Wayne

I think this is a feature I needed to know about ---- altho, my shows have worked fine the past 2 nights -- I just updated all of my shows to use the Pre-Load option. THANKS FOR telling me about this one ...

Jim

Yes --- the preload is extremely effective -- songs stop and start very fast now -- it works for me on Win XP Pro SP3 ...

I would agree that the preloading fixes the problem so far. This is my 2nd night of running the shows and they would have greatly slowed down by now. If it works tomorrow night, then I know that it fixed it 100%. If that is the case, then LOR most likely has a memory leak when a show is configured to load sequences as needed.

My show runs fine either way. Never had a problem with the sequences just it shutting down. So far it only happened once....... knock on wood!

I have been monitoring it closely every night.