Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitter works.

KarlSmith

Here's my story. Two weeks ago my transmitter kit came. While assembleing it I found that an 18 pin IC socket was mistakenly put in the box instead of a 14 pin IC socket. Called factory, they were very nice, told my they would send the correct one that day. Still waiting. So I took the 18 pin socket and cut it with a razor saw and made one 8 pin socket and one 6 pin socket. I soldered them to the board side by side. The IC chip fit right in. Final assembly and testing, man that was a great feeling when the radio we were using for the test went "quiet" (no static) for the first test. Voltage tests were perfect and we're done. And it works. Now we are on the air. Ready for tonight's lightening, is that a word.

I think I would has sat and waited had it not been for the stories found here. Your creativity pushed me to think of a work-around. Thanks.

Nessessity IS the mother of invention! Glad you got it worked out.. you could have gone to Radio Shack too, they have several socket sizes in stock, but you got it anyway, for no $$..

Tried the shack. Called a bunch of stores. No cool stuff like that in stock. Around here those days are gone. What used to be a wall of electronic components is now a drawer.

Hmmm, must be a regional stock thing.. tho they've been gutless for a number of years.. the RS out west have 4 thru 18 pin sockets.. good you were able to trim your down rather than needing to find bigger ones..