Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing and trigger questions

WouldRatherSail

I tried posting this in the sequencing section first, but maybe this is a better spot....

Newb question here...I'm using my controller in a little different application. I need a very short (1-2 minutes) animation sequence to run for at least 3 hours. Once I get the channels programmed via the sequencing editor, can I just set it to loop and let it run until I turn it off? Any limitations to consider? I'm thinking ahead to make sure my computer isn't set to go to sleep....

Also - I have the MP3 showtime director but have never used it. Would this kinda application work with the director and just bypass the computer?

Thirdly - I need to manually "push a button" to start everything up on demand, is there any particular trigger mechanism y'all could recommend for the show director?

Thanks in advance!

Attached files 223629=12372-WindarraXmas.jpg

'couple things here..

I need a very short (1-2 minutes) animation sequence to run for at least 3 hours. Once I get the channels programmed via the sequencing editor, can I just set it to loop and let it run until I turn it off?

Yes, once you have your animation created, save it. I dont know abt using the Show Director, but using Simple Show Builder (SSB), you'd que the animation, select run from x:xx time to x:xx time (so it will run continously).

Any limitations to consider? I'm thinking ahead to make sure my computer isn't set to go to sleep....

No, thats it, just disable Sleep/Hibernate..

Also - I have the MP3 showtime director but have never used it. Would this kinda application work with the director and just bypass the computer?

Thirdly - I need to manually "push a button" to start everything up on demand, is there any particular trigger mechanism y'all could recommend for the show director?

Werent there any directions with the Director, how to trigger it? Using a computer SSB will start/stop the show.. you'll just have to read the docs that came with the Director..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Werent there any directions with the Director, how to trigger it? Using a computer SSB will start/stop the show.. you'll just have to read the docs that came with the Director..

Thank you very much for the help!

Yes - I've looked through the directions - there are 3 inputs on the director with pins to hook up to a trigger - motion detector, or whatever. What I'm looking for that I'm not sure of is the closest "off the shelf" solution that plugs into these pins.

Hmmm, a rubber switch mat, motion detector.. might even be able to go with a mechanical timer (like what turns on a lamp in the house for a lived-in look), but you'd have to bust it open and solder from the timer contacts to the trigger pins.. motion detector would prob be easiest.. LOR doesnt have anything off-the-shelf that i know of to plug into the header.

WouldRatherSail wrote:

Newb question here...I'm using my controller in a little different application. I need a very short (1-2 minutes) animation sequence to run for at least 3 hours. Once I get the channels programmed via the sequencing editor, can I just set it to loop and let it run until I turn it off? Any limitations to consider? I'm thinking ahead to make sure my computer isn't set to go to sleep....

Yes would be a perfect application for the MP3 director, this would bypass the computer and eliminate another potential trouble item, keeping it much simpler.

A simple doorbell push button will work quite well for this application. A cheap button, about a dollar or so at the hardware store,

Thanks - great idea! Which brings up another question :shock: how to wire the doorbell 10v or 16v into the controller. Is there a pin adapter (the doohickeys with the inputs that you screw the input wires into) that fits that show director pin board? Or would this have to be sodered onto the pins?

WouldRatherSail wrote:

Thanks - great idea! Which brings up another question :shock: how to wire the doorbell 10v or 16v into the controller. Is there a pin adapter (the doohickeys with the inputs that you screw the input wires into) that fits that show director pin board? Or would this have to be sodered onto the pins?

I was referring to just using a doorbell button as an example of the type of switch that could be used to trigger. To wire the trigger to an existing door bell system would need to have a relay to isolate the doorbell ac voltage.

Here is the header pin adapter:

http://store.lightorama.com/mp3dicohe.html