Light-O-Rama Forums

Christmas Comes Crashing Down

jimswinder

Well...sometime last night my 20' Weber Tree suffered a major failure.

The mast broke about in the middle. Guess I had too much weight and stress on it.

There was no wind...no snow...and I had 6 guy wires on it...3 at the top and 3 in the middle, right where it broke.

At least I got one show out of it...

Attached files 223149=12354-Broken Mast 3.jpg

shfr26 wrote:

Sorry to hear that Jim. But I know you are good and will get it back up soon!

lol...not this year...

Don't think I can fit 9 months of work into a weekend...:P

I guess the combination of the weight of the lights, and the guy wires pulling down was just too much for that sleeve? If you go to a plumbing supply house, or a steel supply place, you could get a 20' pipe.

I do hope you can get it back up, or come up with a way to make everything work?

If nothing else this will help you make it better next year!:P

Don't give up!

Aye, most sorry ta 'ear wot 'appened 'mate!! a weather eye wudda caught tha' most scurvy o' pirates Murphy th' Merciless .. I 'ope ya ken refloat yer "Pearl" quickly, savvy?

rstately wrote:

I guess the combination of the weight of the lights, and the guy wires pulling down was just too much for that sleeve?

**It broke right above the sleeve...so don't know if the weld weakened it or not. You can see it bent before it broke.**

If you go to a plumbing supply house, or a steel supply place, you could get a 20' pipe.

**Don't think I could lift up a 20' piece of steel pipe...especially with all the wires that would need to be hooked on it at the top**

I do hope you can get it back up, or come up with a way to make everything work?

**I think I can get some of the other things back up...but not the Weber Tree.**

Wow such a shame Jim.

Wish I lived closer and could come over and give you a hand to put her back up again this year.

Well at least another learning curve "bump in the road" taken care of for next year right?

Bill

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

The mast broke about in the middle. Guess I had too much weight and stress on it.

There was no wind...no snow...and I had 6 guy wires on it...3 at the top and 3 in the middle, right where it broke.

Well isn't this just great you bust your hump for nine months of the year and it all comes crashing down really sorry Jim I did notice that a lot of the lights ended up in a ball is there a way you can use that in your show, I did see a E-mail where the santa is standing and going to the bathroom sort of reminds of that if you can do something like that, chin up there buddy it can't get any worse I hope

Don Gillespie wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Well isn't this just great you bust your hump for nine months of the year and it all comes crashing down really sorry Jim I did notice that a lot of the lights ended up in a ball is there a way you can use that in your show, I did see a E-mail where the santa is standing and going to the bathroom sort of reminds of that if you can do something like that, chin up there buddy it can't get any worse I hope

If anyone can pull this idea off, Jim can. By the way, what size and type pole were you using? So the rest of us can learn from it.

Sorry to hear that. same happened to me during setup, that was three weeks before going live though I was able to get things repaired

Sorry to hear/see that Jim. ;)

I suppose the Weber tree design does create a different type of load on the pole than the traditional mega-tree, since there is some rotational force as well. Not sure how significant that is, but is something to consider and for the engineers to discuss. Seems the spiral effect could lead to some unequal weight distribution (if not perfectly accounted for) that could pose some problems (i.e. wide part of the spiral on the front of the tree weighs more than the narrow part of the spiral that might be on the back of side, etc.).

Sorry to hear about your lost. Know doubt it was the main attraction in your display, but salvage the show the best you can.

Why not take whats left of the tree down & put a Marty Fan in is place. You can have that done soon enough. I think a fan would do your display good.......it certainly wouldn't hurt.

There must be an awful lot of stress at the top of the tree since the spirals are focused on one side of the tree at the top.