Light-O-Rama Forums

In Between Shows?

T. Bennett

This is my first year with LOR and I am still waiting on my hardware to arrive. In the meantime I have been working on a multitude of sequences.
My question is: What happens between shows? I read some about animation sequences (like music sequences with no music I gather), and this seems to be the answer to my question. So I ask you, the brilliant folks of the LOR community:

What are you doing in between shows? Are there examples of these animation sequences out there.

FYI.
I am starting small this year, running 16 channels, 3 mini-trees and about 3000 lights. (starting small..lol)

Have a great Holiday,

Tim

After running a test run of my show I decided to add a short (10 second) animated sequence that turns on most of my lights. I have 4 different ones that I will try out and remove any I don't like.

One changes from one colour to another another one I have a bunch of chases (this one looks a little too busy).

Nice thing about these is they are easy to set up.

Without knowing your display it is hard to suggest anything. But you could try a slow fade up then down between each song.

Thanks for the replies....just got the lights up today, and I am still waiting on the controllers, so I suppose I'll figure something out.

Creating short animated only squences didn't work for me.

Looks like these run at the same time as the musical sequences.

So I took a song loaded into my audio editor, cut it down to 10 seconds turned the volume all the way down and saved it as an mp3 called Silent and I use that inbetween each song.

PaulXmas wrote:

Looks like these run at the same time as the musical sequences.

Correct. Items in the Animation and Musical tab run at the same time.

So, what is the time between songs in a "show"? Is it necessary to have a filler?

What can I do in between shows then? That is to say, if I have a 6-7 song show that lasts for say...15 minutes, and I run it on the half hour, what can I do for :16-:29? More importantly HOW do I do whatever happens between :16-:29?

I'm still very new (still havent got the controllers) and I think I figured out sequences songs, but putting it all together is still a puzzle to me. Any info would be a great help. Thanks Again!

T. Bennett wrote:

I'm still very new (still havent got the controllers) and I think I figured out sequences songs, but putting it all together is still a puzzle to me. Any info would be a great help. Thanks Again!

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/QuickStartGuideShowSchedule.pdf

Most folks just run the show over and over since down time usually results in people driving off. In the scheduler you enter a start and stop time and the show runs continuously between those times.

I suppose I could do that as well. Im not sure what I am going to do yet. Seems like a brief pause (at least 5 min.) makes more sense in a show, especially because I am using an Intro.

Im in a new neighborhood anyhow, so I don't even know how much "traffic" the show will get. I did a big halloween display (no LOR) as well and was fairly disappointed by the low turn-out, but I chalked it up to a new neighborhood.

I just want to system to get here, but it doesnt seem that LOR has even processed my payment let alone shipped. It's my fault for getting in late in the game, but I had to convince the new wife it was a great investment. I ordered on 21 Nov...so here I sit..waiting (and of course, sequencing).

Thanks for the advice!

Tim, Are you sure they haven't goofed on your order?? I ordered my first setup on Friday morning, received my program code immediately, got the shipping statement on saturday with a tracking number, and checked it tonight and it is already on its way, scheduled to be here in Nebraska on thursday.

P.S. Glad to see I'm not the only one late in the game. I also convinced my wife it was a good idea last wed night and ordered the controller as soon as I could :P (friday morning!!)

What do you have squenced? Maybe we could trade a few and extend our shows. I have...

1. THX Disaster Intro

2. TSO - Christmas/Sarajevo

3. Mannheim Steamroller - Fairies

4. TSO - Christmas Canon

5. TSO - Wizards of Winter

6. TSO - Mad Russian

And also a few others that were sent to me. Let me know if you'd like to trade anything. Thanks, Tom

it's my first year too. i wanted to wait between shows because I also have a large static display of blow molds and such. I ended up creating an into sequence that has voice over instructions and one 2:20 song, so it's about 3 1/2 minutes followed by 10 minutes of animation.

I can not believe how many people drive by in the 3 1/2 minutes, slow down, and speed away. If someone comes while the animation is going, they stay for the entire thing, but if they come and nothing is animated, they barley stop.

Jim Saul wrote:

I can not believe how many people drive by in the 3 1/2 minutes, slow down, and speed away. If someone comes while the animation is going, they stay for the entire thing, but if they come and nothing is animated, they barley stop.

I have two 20 minute shows, each followed by a ten minute, all lights on, break. A lot more cars stop during the show than they do when all the lights are on. I was thinking of taking one song out of each show and playing it again in the other show just to shorten that all lights on period to 5 minutes to entice more people to stay.

On the flip side I have heard people comment as they tried to take pictures during the show that they wished the lights would all come on so they could get a good picture. If I am out there then I tell them to wait until the show is over then they will all come on.

right now@4:14 pm, the wind chill is -4.
I'm not going out to tell them when to take a picture, they will have to figure it out for themselves ;)

** My fist double post**
drinks are on me tonight if anyone wants to come Fergus Falls :cool:

T. Bennett wrote:

I suppose I could do that as well. Im not sure what I am going to do yet. Seems like a brief pause (at least 5 min.) makes more sense in a show, especially because I am using an Intro.

Im in a new neighborhood anyhow, so I don't even know how much "traffic" the show will get. I did a big halloween display (no LOR) as well and was fairly disappointed by the low turn-out, but I chalked it up to a new neighborhood.

I just want to system to get here, but it doesnt seem that LOR has even processed my payment let alone shipped. It's my fault for getting in late in the game, but I had to convince the new wife it was a great investment. I ordered on 21 Nov...so here I sit..waiting (and of course, sequencing).

Thanks for the advice!

5 minute pause?

My 5 second between songs takes forever when you are watching the lights. Are you going to have any lights durning this 5 minutes?

It takes time for the word to get around.

Hang in there and do it for yourself and the people that do see your display and don't worry about the one who don't.

-{call the tv station(s)}-

Guest Don Gillespie

Jim Saul wrote:

right now@4:14 pm, the wind chill is -4.
I'm not going out to tell them when to take a picture, they will have to figure it out for themselves ;)

Wow -4 thats pretty much shorts whether up here LOL going down to -25 tonight with a high tomorrow of -15 trade ya