Jump to content

tapper wizard


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have started sequencing about a month ago. I am ashamed to say I have one song complete and two songs half done. I have not used the tapper, instead I have been sequencing by the sound of the music and my ear. I jsut did not feel comfortable with the tapper.

If I get comfortable with the tapper will it speed up the sequencing process? or can I due just as well with how I am doing it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

jfelix wrote:

I have started sequencing about a month ago. I am ashamed to say I have one song complete and two songs half done. I have not used the tapper, instead I have been sequencing by the sound of the music and my ear. I jsut did not feel comfortable with the tapper.

If I get comfortable with the tapper will it speed up the sequencing process? or can I due just as well with how I am doing it?

Everyone is different. Myself, I can't fathom the thought of creating a sequence without the use of the tapper. I can always go back and touch up where I missed on the tap. Again, for me, it's much easier than listening over and over and trying to hit the right spot.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only use the tapper to lay down a basic beat track on an unused channel. I just find it easier to have a visual clue as to where the beat is rather than listening for each one every time you are clicking cells all the way thru the sequence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the tapper is an invaluable tool whether you are using it for a blinky sequence or a slow sequence with slow ramps and fades, basically it gives me the timing marks so that I know where certain events are happening (within .2 sec or so) and from there I will do the fine adjustments.

I could not imagine doing a sequence without the tapper wizard.

When I use it, I set it to "Make a particular channel briefly turn on, then turn off, when ever a tap occurs" and I set "snap existing event to within 5 hundredths of a second". Also I should mention I have my initial timing marks set to .1 second so that the tapper wizard will align exactly.

But however you can use it to improve your efficiently than use it.

And just a thought, after a month of sequencing (I don't know how many actual hours you have invested) and only completing 1 3/4 songs maybe you should reconsider your sequencing methods. I think If you were to try and get comfortable with the tapper wizard you will find it as useful as I do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will admit I haven't been putting in the hours I need to. The first song took me about 4-5 hours. From there I have tinkered a little here a little there. I was waiting for my football season to end so I could put in the needed hours to complete at least 5 songs.

I think I may need to work with the tapper a little more. I just found it difficult to use. But then again I haven't had the time to watch any of the helpful videos at the LOR site either. But the sequencing that I have done lookspretty good, at least to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just finished my 3rd song, I am not using the tapper this year. I noticed last year that the songs that everyone raved about were the ones that had near perfect timing. The timing makes all the difference in the world. Can turn a good display into a GREAT display. So I am simply trying to complete one song a week. I have the cells set to 0.05 and I have converted the songs to .wav using audacity. This allows me to use the play visible sequence only without the timings being changed. I am finding that this has sped up my process completely and I am getting almost perfect synchronization. I am sure that it will still need some fine tuning once the lights are up though, as it always does.

Thanks,
Logan Moore

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have the hardware yet. But I have been working with the real S/W and find that with an .mp3 and my ear I find doing the timing to be easier without the tapper. I guess I'm still just in the mix. I've always had an ear for tunes though. I've completed 1.5 songs in 2 weeks (not solid, just here and there).
Just have to figure out how to dub it in to show it off up here....

So from me that's a nay to the tapper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NWSanta wrote:

I don't have the hardware yet. But I have been working with the real S/W and find that with an .mp3 and my ear I find doing the timing to be easier without the tapper. I guess I'm still just in the mix. I've always had an ear for tunes though. I've completed 1.5 songs in 2 weeks (not solid, just here and there).
Just have to figure out how to dub it in to show it off up here....

So from me that's a nay to the tapper.

After you get good at tapping.. go to Chuckie Cheese and they got this tower thing.. I swear you can hit the maximum number of bonus tickets everytime... this is expecially when taking kids and I been tapping out songs recently... go in spring when I set it aside for a while and I never win that game anymore...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that REALLY helped me with tapping was to use the space bar instead of clicking the mouse. When I first started with the tapper, I tried to click the mouse on the button to mark the beats, but quickly found that I could do it better with a keypress. I've also told the wizard not to count down and up as two "taps". I listen to the music with my eyes closed, and use the index and middle fingers of BOTH hands to tap the space bar on the beats. This gets me very precise timing, since even if one hand is a little slow getting to the space bar, the other's usually right on. And being able to close my eyes allows me to concentrate on the music without distracting myself with what's happening on the screen. Finally, don't be afraid to run the wizard a few times. I've noticed that once I've done it one or two times already, I'm more comfortable anticipating the notes before I hear them, and I'm ready to tap out the beat I want to correspond with the visual (read: dancing lights) I'm picturing in my head ;)

Happy Tapping! :happytree:



Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dtrammell wrote:

One thing that REALLY helped me with tapping was to use the space bar instead of clicking the mouse. When I first started with the tapper, I tried to click the mouse on the button to mark the beats, but quickly found that I could do it better with a keypress. I've also told the wizard not to count down and up as two "taps". I listen to the music with my eyes closed, and use the index and middle fingers of BOTH hands to tap the space bar on the beats. This gets me very precise timing, since even if one hand is a little slow getting to the space bar, the other's usually right on. And being able to close my eyes allows me to concentrate on the music without distracting myself with what's happening on the screen. Finally, don't be afraid to run the wizard a few times. I've noticed that once I've done it one or two times already, I'm more comfortable anticipating the notes before I hear them, and I'm ready to tap out the beat I want to correspond with the visual (read: dancing lights) I'm picturing in my head :D

Happy Tapping! :happytree:


I would also recommend well before loading into LOR, play the song about 10 to 15 times running out of Windows Media Player or whatever... and practice tapping harmlessly... do it many times you that you anticipate your taps before they are needed. Also figure out what you are following... my advice is follow the simplest, most basic thing you hear in the song... the main beat. Sometimes the voice is the best thing to follow, othertimes the main beat of the music -ignore the words or else have most things follow the music and have a singing item in the yard (singing reindeer).
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well said Dave! We use the same technique except for using two hands on the spacebar. The more I listen to a song, the better my tapping. I'll also use headphones to keep everyone from getting annoyed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...