Light-O-Rama Forums

Screen Delay

Guest guest

I know this was already answered but cannot find the link...

When I use the Feature :"Play Visual Screen", my timing is right on.

When I play "Full Sequence", some of the timing is delayed.

I think it has to do with the .wav file, but can't find the answer.

I know Dan has posted a help file on his Web site for this, but I cannot fine the tech-support file.

John Pidliskey wrote:

I know this was already answered but cannot find the link...

When I use the Feature :"Play Visual Screen", my timing is right on.

When I play "Full Sequence", some of the timing is delayed.

I think it has to do with the .wav file, but can't find the answer.

I know Dan has posted a help file on his Web site for this, but I cannot fine the tech-support file.

Usually it's the reverse that's true. Here's why. With a VBR (Variable Bit Rate) MP3 file, LOR can't grab on the correct internal marker when you 'play visible screen.' Most of the time when playing a whole sequence you are okay as it starts from the beginning and plays through.

If you are using a .WAV file, and still experiencing a drift issue, then you might have other issues. You could simply be experiencing a lag in the screen image to music. It happens sometimes in the V1.5 Sequence Editor. V2.0 is said to use a tenth of CPU resources.

How fast is your computer and how long are the sequences? I have seen this behavior in extremely large channel files that are very long. I have a > 10 minute sequence this happens to on slower computers. When I run it on my dual core athlon system, it works fine (although there still is a little drift.) I can't tell when I watch the animation window, but if I use a screen capture program it is noticeable, particularly in the 2nd half of the sequence.

I have not heard of issues with WAV files. I am not sure what is going on. How big are these WAV files? This may be one time when I suggest that you try converting it to a 128kbs MP3 using Audacity.

The song is 2,900kb. I have larger songs that don't have the problem. It seems that it could be some sort of timing issue with the speed of the song. The song has some fast pieces in it.

The song is Wizards of Winter which I've used before but not with LOR.

John Pidliskey wrote:

The song is 2,900kb. I have larger songs that don't have the problem. It seems that it could be some sort of timing issue with the speed of the song. The song has some fast pieces in it.

The song is Wizards of Winter which I've used before but not with LOR.

John,

2,900kb is pretty small for a WAV file. Can you email it to dan@lightorama.com. I would like to take a look at it.

John,

I played your Wizard's Sequence (very nice) and did notice that as you said the audio was a little off (not much but enough) when played FULL sequence but was right on when played by Visable Screen (most likley the way you sequenced it was via Visable Screen).... This does happen with many MP3 files. A lot of folks use WAV files which never seem to have this issue....

However I did send you back your copy of the MP3 but I re-encoded it using Audacity. It now seems to be correct to me. (you can be the judge)....

I have found that using Audacity that everything just works (and it is free). Audacity uses the Lame MP3 encoder to rewrite the MP3 files. It appears that Windows Media Player behaves much better with the encoding generated by the lame encoder.

Thanks Dan! I'll let you know how things work out.

Thanks for the comment about the sequence. I usually spend too much time to try and get things perfectly, as if you were in a concert watching the show.

John Pidliskey wrote:

Dan,

Thanks that worked! NowI need to know how to convert it if I need to in the future.

I did download the Audcity program but not sure how to use it.

John,

We have a writeup on how to use Audacity. We will be posting it on the support page in the next day or so. I always re-encode my files using Audacity before sequencing.