Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there A Trick ...

Guest guest

Okay, this is one of the most annoying things and I cannot figure out how to solve the problem .... HELP!

The Situation:

• Assume you are trying to adjust when an event ends, or add an event, but it is just a little off.
  • So, you want to move the event line either earlier or later than where it is right now

The Assumed Way to do this:

• I mouse over the event line in question.
  • When the cursor changes to a left/right arrow, I grab it by holding down the left mouse button (right handed mouse)
  • the drag it to where you think it should be

The Reality/Problem:

• When I attempt to do this, it seems about half the time, to grab the wrong event line
  • Then when I try to move it, I get a warning tone and a popup, and ....
  • It is clearly trying to move the wrong event line.

The Question:

• Is there a trick to grabbing the event line, and keeping the above from occurring?

Hope someone has an tip.

thanks,

Tom

No trick to it, it's just a real pain to use that interface. Many times while editing and I select a cell, it accidentally selects the line and drags it over a bit, doubling the width, then you have to play with it to get it back to its original size.

I don't use the midi tapper, because it scrunches up the time sells for some reason, most likely a bug.

So I setup all my songs with 1/10 second intervals and just fill in.

With 1/10 intervals, there is no reason to ever have to adjust widths of events.

The trick? Don't try to drag event lines!

Simply mouse over into the cell in question. "Right Click -> Resize Event To" which will bring up a prompt to enter the new time.

Now, if you if do this in the middle of a sequence, it's going to shorten the entire sequence. Simply select the next cell, and add the time you removed from the first cell to this one.

Unless I'm wrong, the time will always come off the right side of a cell.

I do the same as Jeffostroff, every sequence is set at 1/10 of a second timing events. I tried doing variable timing events at first and came to the conclusion that when it came time to copy and paste (and for other reasons) it was way to much of a pain, so much so, that I resequenced all my other completed sequence to 1/10. Also when it comes time to share a sequence, having a standard timing event makes it so much easier.

Bill

I've run into that quite a bit. Try zooming in on the horizontal and the lines will be further apart and hopefully it won't grab the wrong one on you.

Even at .1 sec I've wanted to finetune some timings and dragged an event over a bit rather than adding an event and programming all the blocks.

All my future Sequences will be at .05. The blocks are tiny but very accurate.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

I've run into that quite a bit. Try zooming in on the horizontal and the lines will be further apart and hopefully it won't grab the wrong one on you.

Zoom is the only fix I know of. Before actually moving the event, I always drag the gridline left and right to make sure it grabbed the correct gridline. If not, then I don't move the gridline and zoom in more. It's much easier to double check this before you move the gridline than to try to fix messups. I have found the closer you are zoomed in, the more likely LOR is to pick the correct gridline the first time.

Don also has a great suggestion, and it's worth repeating to save people headaches. Just make sure you change two cells when doing this. Otherwise, all the timing events after the change will become out of sync.