Jump to content

LOR and X10


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've got my LOR boards connected to my USB port and My X10 CM11 connected to my SERIAL port. I use ACTIVEHOME (not PRO) software during the year to run my house lights.

I have tested my LOR boards and the X10 interface with the LOR Hardware utility and it seems to be working fine.

Here is my question. If I have my ACTIVEHOME program downloaded into the CM11 interface, and I have a show running, which protocol takes priority? The stored CM11A program or the commands coming from the computer in the LOR Show?

Will my stored program keep running UNLESS a specific address command is received from my LOR computer?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MichaelC wrote:

I've got my LOR boards connected to my USB port and My X10 CM11 connected to my SERIAL port. I use ACTIVEHOME (not PRO) software during the year to run my house lights.

I have tested my LOR boards and the X10 interface with the LOR Hardware utility and it seems to be working fine.

Here is my question. If I have my ACTIVEHOME program downloaded into the CM11 interface, and I have a show running, which protocol takes priority? The stored CM11A program or the commands coming from the computer in the LOR Show?

Will my stored program keep running UNLESS a specific address command is received from my LOR computer?


I think they will both run simultaneously. So it's possible to have LOR and the downloaded program both 'fighting' over the same address.

In general it's best to avoid this, but it can be useful. For example, a few years ago I wanted to turn my outdoor speakers off at 9pm, but have the show continue through 10pm. I had LOR send an X-10 ON event to the amp when the show started, but had a downloaded Activehome program send an OFF event to the same channel at 9PM. it worked great...

-Tim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tim:

For LOR to work, don't you have to keep it "ON" in the sequence for all the time you want it on or does it automatically Latch on with a single event signal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MichaelC wrote:

Tim:

For LOR to work, don't you have to keep it "ON" in the sequence for all the time you want it on or does it automatically Latch on with a single event signal?

It works just like a regular LOR channel. So if you want it on, you need to keep it on in the sequence.

For static stuff that is on the whole show, there is a 'background' sequence that you can put your static channels in. Then you just leave them out of the other sequences and they stay on. That's where we keep virtually all our X-10 stuff...

-Tim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks tim

btw - Have you ever had problem running Flood light from your LOR boards. I want to do some effects with them, but they will be mostly static. I've got about 3 100 watt spots on each channel.

I thought I read somewhere you shouldn't leave static items running full throught the LOR boards for extended time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MichaelC wrote:

btw - Have you ever had problem running Flood light from your LOR boards. I want to do some effects with them, but they will be mostly static. I've got about 3 100 watt spots on each channel.


I haven't done that, but I'm sure others have.

I thought I read somewhere you shouldn't leave static items running full throught the LOR boards for extended time.


I'd be interested in why this was true, if it was. As far as I know, as long as you aren't exceeding the load capacity, it doesn't matter (similar to a dimmer switch in your home, which also uses triacs). But I could be wrong...

-Tim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I run a few static flood/spot light with no problems from LOR. Also, on my patriotic display, I strobe the spotlight that's on the flag with no problems. Like Tim said, as long as you don't go over the capacity, you are ok. Sometimes I will use x-10 on static, simply to save dimmable circuits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tfischer wrote:

MichaelC wrote:
I thought I read somewhere you shouldn't leave static items running full throught the LOR boards for extended time.


I'd be interested in why this was true, if it was. As far as I know, as long as you aren't exceeding the load capacity, it doesn't matter (similar to a dimmer switch in your home, which also uses triacs). But I could be wrong...

-Tim

Tim is right. The heat sinks on the boards are sized to handle the board's rated capacity indefinitely. We've run extended load tests without problems.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...