Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing new channel configs

dharker

Another question, I had 32 channels last year and have 80 this year. I am modifying songs I used last year but also changing the order of the channels. Last year they went 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, etc this year they will go 1,2,45,66,77,5,6 ... for instance grouping all reds together etc.

I created a new file with all my channels, the new colors for each and the new order, but when i import them into my old sequence the channel order changes but the programming stays where it was. Programming for channel 3,4,5 is now the programming for 45,66,77 which I don't want. So currently I created a config with all 80 channels in order, import it into my old sequence in the 1-80 order, then go an move all the channels around to the order I want so that the programming moves with it. I do this for each and every song and thinking there has to be an easier way for people that have hundreds of channels and change the order ?

Thanks !

The export channel config just contains the info for your channel lineup, and animation drawing and photo. I dont think there is a way to move an entire row of programming to a new channel other than copy and paste.

When having to move an entire row I find it easy to click in the very first box then use your slide scroll at the bottom to move to the end of the sequence and put your cursor over the last box in that same row and hit the shift key. Then your entire row is ready to be copied or cut. Just makes it a little easier than clicking and dragging across the entire row.

I dont know if this is what you want to do, but if you click-and-hold the channel name cell and drag it to where you want it, and let go, it will drop where you stop.. that way you could group all the channels you want together.. is that what you need?

I found it by accident.. too much coffee one day, clicked and dragged it before I even knew what was happening, dropped it into a new location.. I dont know how far back this feature went (versions) but it works in 2.8.12..

Ron, you said you're in Burlington? I'm a Somerville kid, or at least used to be :)

TJ Hvasta wrote

Ron, you said you're in Burlington? I'm a Somerville kid, or at least used to be :)

Yup - way north of me but I know the town

Thanks TJ but I do know how to do what you described. My problem is not moving channels around so perhaps I did not explain it too well. It's when I create my new season Channel config and have moved channels all around etc. I now want to import my new channel layout etc to my old songs, but I want the programming on 3-1, 3-2, 3-3 etc to stay with that channel. When I import the new channel config if the 3rd Row had channel 3-2 and did a 10 second fade then on for 5 seconds I would like that to stay with channel 3-2 even though it may now be located further down in my channel config.

When i import now, if the new channel config has channel 4-7 in the 3rd row then 4-7 now has the 10 second face and then on for 5 seconds and channel 3-2 that is now moved to say row 52 has a blank line with no programming.

I'm sure I am not explaining this too well- sorry

I ran into this issue also this year. To solve it, I started with a new sequence and imported the new channel configuration. Then I opened the old file and copied the timings over. I then just copied the channels from the old file to the proper location in the new file. To copy the entire channel (or a bunch of sequential channels), I select the first box in each channel and do edit-select-entire row(s). Then I copy and paste to the new file. Easier for me than selecting and scrolling over.

There might be a better way to do this, but this approach works for me.

I could write a really long post on this (and may do so one day) but for now pardon the shortness.

1) Open last years sequence. (One with 32 channels from last year.)
2) Add new channels/controllers to BOTTOM of sequence. Do not move any channels.
3) Assign/Name the new channels.
4) Edit -> Duplicate Track. Name it "Working Track"
5) Change to working track.
6) Now, click/drag channels into the order you want. Do not simply rename channels, but click/drag to re-arrange. [That's important.]
7) "Edit -> Export/Import Configuration -> Export" and save to a file.

Now when you import into another sequence from last year you will "Import" the LCC file created in step 7 above. Your events should now be associated with the correct channels.

Why? The LOR software keeps track of the channels internally, via a method not shown to you on the front-end of the software. When you rename a channel, the actual internal association does not change. (Bob can explain this much better than I.)

When you create a second track, you are visually making a second copy, but internally the events are only stored once. This is why when you import the sequences from last year, everything is in the right place. With the steps above you don't change the internal associations.

Note that you will want to work within the "Working Track" from here on out. Do not make changes to your "Default" track. (Which you can rename by clicking the "Track" button in the toolbar. It's near the "Timings" button.)

There's a lot more I could talk about, but this should get you going, and keep your events on the right channels.

To add to Don's excellent post make sure all your sequences have the channels in your 'default' track arranged in identical order, which I believe you are currently doing.

Thanks Don, Great explaination. So I was doing everything perfect, just how I thought it would work, UNTIL, my last step was to delete track 1 and that then screwed me all up. This should work great- thanks again.