Light-O-Rama Forums

Does Phase affect performance

Joe Noe

I moved my show to a commercial location and am experiencing some anomolies on a few of my controllers. It's most evident in intensity changes...some channels aren't responding to the intensity changes correctly. I was thinking that perhaps I was overloading my network with 14 1602W's and 8 CCR's, but I noticed the issue in even sections of songs where there wasn't much going on.

Then I got to thinking about power. Most all of my lights are LED and as such I power the controllers with "cheater circuits", which I define as running a single power feed and powering both legs of the controller via a triple tap. I realized that the 4 controllers I'm noticing the issues on are all fed via 2 separate power feeds to each one as there were some incandescent lights attached.

Could having each leg of the controller powered by a different phase cause what I describe?

Thanks

A few years ago it was discovered that in a commercial environment where you have 3 phase power, the controllers need to all be on the same leg if at all possible.

Try to get all your controllers on the same phase of power if you have a 3 phase service.

Chuck

X2... The standard LOR controllers count on the two inlets being 0 degrees apart, or 180 degrees apart, which works great for typical residential service. For many commercial buildings, the outlets will be zero, 120, or 240 degrees apart, which really messes up the dimming. Move controller inlets so both are on the same phase, and you will be good.

Sorry, but this is going to get technical.

The triacs on the board turn on for part of each mains cycle only, how long for, depends on the brightness you are trying to achieve. The "electronics" is powered by right-hand half of the board, and this determines the point where the voltage is zero in the cycle (this is the point where the triacs turn off). The "electronics" also determines when to turn the triacs on for the desired brightness for each channel.

With the two halves of the board on the same phase or 180 degrees apart (a typical USA domestic arrangement), all is well. With the board connected to two phases of a three-phase supply, the phases are 120 degrees apart, meaning the "voltage zeros" are at different times on the two halves of the board. This will mess up the brightness of all circuits on the left side of the board as the triacs will be on for the wrong length of time in each cycle.

Regards,

Alan.

Thank you all for your responses. I had the electrician that wired the panel label the phases, and rearranged the power feeds to the appropriate phases. Problem solved. Everything responds as expected.