Light-O-Rama Forums

writers(sequencing) block

Guest guest

I started back in march. I just don't like the way they are turning out. If it has to do with wood or home theater I'm your guy. When it comes to music I couldn't carry a beat if my life depended on it. I was hoping some of you would take a look at one of my sequences and give me your thoughts on what it needs or is lacking. I just don't see it. Im hoping this will give me a jump start in the right direction. Thanks for everyones help, Joe

http://www.k9smith.com/Download.html

I have a sequence done for the same audio file (24 channels)

I am new to this. I am willing to give you a copy of what I did.

Send me your email and I will forward the lms file. You already have

your audio file.

harbs (Ohio newbie) :happytree:

I made a few quick edits in the first minute. Don't forget about the melody! You have the right idea...I'd suggest giving the melody some lights, and change your pattern more frequently. There are thousands of different pattern combinations you can do with a layout like this, so don't be afraid to try some different patterns.

Just my 2 cents.

http://pc.lorsequences.com/a.lms

Bummer. I wish you had a working animation window to go along with it. It would have really encouraged me to add in my own touches. I think it would also make it easier for you to work with it and see what kind of things you can do.

Aside from following the melody, I'd also add in, from time to time, a chase or something that fits in with the drum beat.

A few notes I made...

00:07 - That 3 note repeat would be great to match some lights to. It is an element that is played a few times in the song.

01:35 - The major melody here is a strong part of the song to coordinate to.

01:40.25 - A great time to turn off all the lights just for a beat when the music stops, drums kick in, and then music starts and lights come back on. Or to change your time units to something exceptionally quick and do something with those three drum beats.

Your fade ups/downs are a bit jagged. Is this an intentional style? Actually looked good on LEDs except for the up-tick at the tail end.

I prefer to proportion it out too. However, most animations I've seen are more abstract, as you put it.

Sadly, I'm anal enough to make my drawings to scale. For my latest project, the animation window has exactly the same number of dots as there are lights. It doesn't get any better than that! (It's 1261 dots.) :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I left out the lights that have more than one dot because they are brighter, so there are actually 1317 dots. It also doesn't have my last two projects yet, so there will be many more dots to come, but the animation is crammed enough I won't be able to do those to scale. Oh well...

Thanks for the suggestions. My animation window is a pretty close representation of my light lay out. Although it is not to scale. I will play around with your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Hey Joe,

I checked out your sequence and you did really good. On the smashes of symbols during the song, you might think about adding in a "all channels splash" that fades from 100% to zero to add to the impact (only about 3 or 4 tenths long). If not all channels, maybe the white channels of your tree or the roof line at 100% fading back down to 50%. Something to punctuate the show when there is a crash of the symbols.

Just a thought.

Tom

You're moving at full steam! You've definitely got the right idea with the variety, and it looks like a real sequence now. Are you finished with it? My guess is it's 3/4 done.

You'll find that even when you're finished, you'll still tweak it every time you watch it. I have sequences I finished months ago, and I still find something wrong with them each time I watch them.