Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree

saynomoore

I was putting up my mega tree today.(Second year with LOR, first year mega tree.) It is 20ft tall 10ft diameter at bottom. Every thing went great until I went to put the lights on, Iam putting 96 total strings 48 blue, 48 red, right now I have a tangled mess, will start over again tomorrow, ran out of daylight......oh what fun we have in November, ......:D

I don't know if you'll have time this year, but this is how I got rid of the tangled mess. This is my first year with a mega tree as well. I put it up in July to practice, and a good thing I did. It took me HOURS to untangle all the strings. I did what I'll describe below and my tree went up this weekend with no problem.

I am using 100ct. lights so each string goes up and down. 3 colors (RGB), 2 strings of each color per segment. 12 segments. That means each segment has 12 strings coming from the top and the tree has 144 strings. What a tangled mess.

For each segmentI attached the lights to a hook in the basement at the spot it would hook to the tree. Separated out the 12 strands (RGB, RGB, etc) Took each set of 3 strings (RGB) and loosely zip tie in the middle and at the bottom. I now had combined strands. Zip those together at the bottom. When you put thel ights up you have 12 bundles hanging. Easy to grab one. Undo zip tie, now have 4 bundles of 3. Grab one of the, cut the zips, a few seconds to untangle the 3 strings, secure to base, move on. What took HOURS in July took no time at all this Sunday.

The lesson I learned, a little prep time before saves a literal pain in the neck later!

Yeah, they're sorta called SuperStrings (yours are a varient of) .. RGB strings zipped together (at least at one end) and hung on the top hooks, then spread out at the base.. Really makes it easier to place/hang/erect the pole. House SuperStrings are RGB strings zipped together the length of the string and fixed to the roof/eaves/etc.. I'm doing either a 48 or 64ch tree.. RGB(W).. havent decided yet, but the house will be RGB at least, so it's SuperString-palooza this year :(

If you have someone help keep the strings split as you walk the pole up, makes it a lot easier. Even the little kids can help, sorta like a May Pole.. I've seen a couple trees with aluminum guy wires with strings zipped to them.. the guy wires support the pole, and the lights are not supporting the hoop.

Thats sorta the idea for the Webber Tree.. guy wires support the hoop and the lights are wrapped, spiralled around the guy wires..

I'm also right in the middle of putting up my Mega Tree for this year. I decided to go up to 30' tall this year. So I have to completely make new "Super Strings" consisting of RGW. Being that my tree is 30' I had to add 50 lights to my 100ct mini strands, which was easy to do, just time consuming. I will post some photos if I get home in time before its dark.

Jeremy B.

finished Mega tree today......:P I ended up putting 64 strings of blue and 64 reds on the tree, looks good. Now the fun begins I have a man-lift rented for the weekend to finish up the rest of the house.......

I put up my mega tree up Thursday and Friday which includes a Weber tree in the center of it. Can't wait to apply power! 96 strings on Mega tree and 16 on Weber and they turned out nice. Used same Mega tree last year just added the Weber this year.

I'm as newbie as they come. First year of ANYTHING and I'm planning a mega tree in my show. Now this is not as large as some people I've read in this posting. This will be attached to a corner of my house and will be about 14-16 feet tall. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how to run the wires? Should I run them gutter to ground or attach guide wires and tie the light wires to them in a spiral fashion? Oh yeah, I'm using a 16 channel controller. Thanks for any help. Al :)