Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting LED lights

John2571

I am finishing the arches for the sides of my driveway and the last string of LEDs is only being half used(I have 7 arches and I use a string for 2 arches). I was wondering if I could cut the last string of LEDs before the resister or the last bulb in the series and what would I use for the end plug(could I solder the end plug from the same set)?

Depends !

What brand of LEDs? Full wave or Half Wave? How many lights on the strand?

How is the string wired? Series or Series/Parallel?

You reference a resistor. Do you mean the "wart" on the string? That wart may contain only resistors or might also contain diodes wired as a bridge rectifier, and in some brands also a capacitor.

Could be done, may be as easy as you suggest or might require re-engineering the resistors / diode components to different values.

Generally, unless you are very comfortable with electronic design and theory and really know what you are doing with your particular brand and designed strand of LED strings, it is not a good idea to try to cut them shorter.

If you can identify a point in the string where there are only 2 wires then you can probably cut the string at that point. I had ordered a bunch of 100-bulb strings and one of them was defective so that only half the string worked, so I cut the bad half off and used the good half for the star on top of my mega tree.

Then I salvaged 6 bulbs from the bad half and used them on my 12-volt landscape lighting.

I have had good luck cutting my home depot strings. I think they are "Home Decore" brand.

I bought 3 spools - strange because 2 have resistors, and 1 does not. They all look and dimm the same (I did add "snubbers")

I traced things out, and checked with a volt meter, then cut where the string changes to 2 wires - my spools were long, so I think it was about every 8 feet.