Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Controller question

Guest guest

LOR Dan,

I am at the point now where I am having to allocate limited LOR channels to fulfill unlimited dreams. I keep thinking how much more flexible and powerful the LOR controllers would be if a simple switched circuit, controlled by mod'd LOR software, were added to the 8 and 16 channel controllers.

The controller circuit and the software would need to be changed, but the benefit would be a multiplication of the base channels. one 16 channel contrllr with one two-position swx could be used as a 32 channel controller, for instance. That would be a big boost to, at the least, allow pre- and post-show lighting without eating-up "regular" show channels. The whole deal would be backward h/w and s/w compatible.

Anyway.....you can probably file this under "Already thought of that, but will the customers buy it?" I would buy the extra flexibilty if the new "32-channel" version wasn't as expensive as two 16 channel versions. The software mod's shouln't be a big deal.

So you're saying that the switch in one position would have the board connected to 16 regular "Show" channels, and then you flip the switch (could be in software) and then the board connected to a different set of 16 channels for pre-show static display? Just trying to understand better.....

Thanks, Randy

Yeah,

Almost all of the components in the circuit would function the same, they would only be feeding a different set of output jacks. Maybe the "show" side of the controller would be designated the "primary" jacks and the "alternate" switched side could be "secondary". Actually f the primary/secondary switching could happen quickly and cleanly enough I don't see any reason why the full 32 channels couldn't be used full time (with only one side of the same channel on at a time. Channel "Prime 1' could never be on at the same time as "Second 1", for instance. But they could swx back and forth).

So, what would the first set of 16 channels be doing while the second set was doing its programming?

I think "banking" (if thats what you are describing) doesn't work as 32 independent channels. You would have to turn OFF or at least HOLD programming on the first bank while the second was being serviced...

Unless I"m completely misunderstanding... :-)

I posted on this very subject on the old PC Board. You could indeed use a bank type of arrangement by using just a properly rated double pole relay. In a 16 channel controller, for instance, you would dedicate one channel to be the bank switch. By this, you could tie all of the neutrals going to channels 2-16 together to the normally closed side of the relay, and then connect the relay coil to channel one. Whatever extension cords/outlets you connect to channels 2-16, you will have to be connected to this common neutral. Channels 2-16 will act like normal with the relay in the normally off position when using the LOR Sequence Editor. With channels 2'-16', the neutrals of these extension cords/outlets will have to be tied together, isolated from the neutrals of the other channels (the hots get connected to the hots of the other channels). Therefore, when the relay is activated (channel 1 turned on in the LOR Sequence Editor) chanels 2'-16' will now be active, depending on the channel output of the sequencing. The relay essentially switches the neutral connection between two different sets of 15 channels.

You could not use any channel from 2-16 with any from 2'-16' at the same time, but it could provide for an extra 15 channels that might be used only at certain times. Mixing both sets of channels together could be very tedious as you would have to keep track of the switching channel at all times. Also, the relay must be rated to handle the combined current required by channels 2-16 and 2'-16' separately.

I would rather just buy another controller and utilize all of the channels as much as possible, but I could see how this might work for certain applications, like the intro to the show, or as a special effect used during some of the musical sequences.

Glenn

As a related topic I guess, I purchased 16 AC relays to parallel up with my 16 channels. These have DPDT so I can choose for them to be powered when the relay is off or on depending on need.

Not realy 32 channels but it does give other options. (I do have to watch what channels I use for dimming and such as the relays may not hold at some point).