Light-O-Rama Forums

Last Minute LED deals

ryanblazer

So, I am doing some last minute LED conversion from static, I've found a few good deals.

LED Winter White - Christmas Place (Pigeon Forge, TN) $7.97 per string 50 lights / 6" spacing http://www.christmasplace.com/shopping/ItemNumber/48402

Big Lots has some good prices.

Just thought I'd share what I've found.

I heard they are half wave like the Martha Stewart brand at Home Depot. Which of course means that fades will not work.

Argh... they sell blue, red, white, & pink as a full set, but no green!

ryanblazer wrote:

I heard they are half wave like the Martha Stewart brand at Home Depot. Which of course means that fades will not work.

Half wave does not mean that fades will not work. I have a bunch of Chinese half-wave strings that have that half-wave "flicker", but they still fade fine. They do require a resistor ("snubber") before they will fade correctly, however.

Thanks for the info. I am a newbie and still learning.

Where do I get snubbers &/or how do I make them?

ryanblazer wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am a newbie and still learning.

Where do I get snubbers &/or how do I make them?

nevermind... i found info.

Thanks!

Over the weekend i had a manufactures web coupon for $3 dollars off each box of GE lights at Lowes, so each box on sale for 3.33 only cost me .33 i bought 8 cases... To bad they ran out at every store within 60 miles of me, because i would have bought more.

Steven wrote:

ryanblazer wrote:

Half wave does not mean that fades will not work. I have a bunch of Chinese half-wave strings that have that half-wave "flicker", but they still fade fine. They do require a resistor ("snubber") before they will fade correctly, however.

Can you point me in the right direction, to tell me how I can install it on all of my new Lowe's sets, I just got too? I have over 200 sets I need to ad the "snubber" to.

Thanks, Ray

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Steven wrote:
ryanblazer wrote:

Can you point me in the right direction, to tell me how I can install it on all of my new Lowe's sets, I just got too? I have over 200 sets I need to ad the "snubber" to.

Thanks, Ray

I did some research yesterday, after being en-LIGHTENed:

This is probably the best way to make them:
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/37562-Easiest-Terminators-Snubbers-to-make

You could add a C-9 bulb to the end of LEDs, but that could be to the detriment to your display.

You could also go the Crazy Light Lady way (pretty entertaining read):
http://www.crazylightlady.us/TerminatorsHow-To.html

I am going to choose option 1 after testing this week should I need them.

Let me know how it goes.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Steven wrote:
ryanblazer wrote:

Thanks, Ray

I did some research yesterday, after being en-LIGHTENed:

This is probably the best way to make them:
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/37562-Easiest-Terminators-Snubbers-to-make

You could add a C-9 bulb to the end of LEDs, but that could be to the detriment to your display.

You could also go the Crazy Light Lady way (pretty entertaining read):
http://www.crazylightlady.us/TerminatorsHow-To.html

I am going to choose option 1 after testing this week should I need them.

Let me know how it goes.

looked at the planet christmas directions, does the resistor have to go a certain way, i have some led icecycle lights from walmart with twinkling light on some of the drops i have only one strand connected to each channel just for testing and they tend to glow when shut off, would adding a "snubber" to the end of several strands end this, from my understanding the more strands the more voltage and the more glowing, when light should be off,

looked at the planet christmas directions, does the resistor have to go a certain way, i have some led icecycle lights from walmart with twinkling light on some of the drops i have only one strand connected to each channel just for testing and they tend to glow when shut off, would adding a "snubber" to the end of several strands end this, from my understanding the more strands the more voltage and the more glowing, when light should be off,

robert seguin, jr. wrote:

It doesn't matter which way the resistor goes. Just make sure it is at least a 47k 1W resistor.

From my understanding, adding the snubber should end the glow.