Light-O-Rama Forums

need a good fm transmitter

vpfs

• 2 weeks later...

ok so this is my first year doing an animated show and i have been wondering how to get the music to the viewers of the show. i need to do both speakers and a transmitter. now how would i do both out of my computer? is it possible? i have a cble that is 1/8 jack to rca to run between my computer and a audio receiver then run the speakers out of there but how would i run a transmitter? use a splitter? and my final question is what is a good transmitter to get. i really need it to be fairly inexpensive as i am on a budget and still need to buy the extension cords. i only need to broadcast say 200' and should i go with fm or am. any help would be greatly appreciated cause we are a little more than a month away from the opening night.

There are lots of transmitters, including Ramsey, and EDM that are good. I too was looking to replace my Whole house Gold that I used last year. (too restrictive on frequencies and short range) I chose a Chinese unit from eBay like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100mW-500mW-Power-adj-88-108Mhz-Home-FM-TRANSMITTER-/300437063541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f371c775

It arrived in two weeks, is low noise and has adjustable output. I found the low power (100 mW) setting with the included antenna sitting in a window gets me ~400 feet radius of clear sound. No RDS, but pretty cheap.

YMMV, not responsible for regulatory responses, etc.

Mike

kissfan4 wrote:

ok so this is my first year doing an animated show and i have been wondering how to get the music to the viewers of the show. i need to do both speakers and a transmitter. now how would i do both out of my computer? is it possible? i have a cble that is 1/8 jack to rca to run between my computer and a audio receiver then run the speakers out of there but how would i run a transmitter? use a splitter? and my final question is what is a good transmitter to get. i really need it to be fairly inexpensive as i am on a budget and still need to buy the extension cords. i only need to broadcast say 200' and should i go with fm or am. any help would be greatly appreciated cause we are a little more than a month away from the opening night.

Get a "y" adapter to come out of the audio from your computer.

As far as an FM Transmitter is concerned...DON'T go cheap...lousy sound equals lousy display.

If the people can't hear it or it has a lot of static, they won't enjoy your show as much...the show is 50% lights and 50% audio...without one, the other half will suffer.

So put out a few more bucks and get a Ramsey or EDM.

kellyhaglund wrote:

You could also set a Boom box on the front porch, tuned to your transmitter station.

That is what I do!

Mine is above one of my windows so it doesn't grow a set of legs and walk away.

PaulXmas wrote:

kellyhaglund wrote:
You could also set a Boom box on the front porch, tuned to your transmitter station.

That is what I do!

Mine is above one of my windows so it doesn't grow a set of legs and walk away.

That's my plan as well.. just as soon as I can get this darn transmitter working! :)

I also put out a boom box on a timer so I can shut the music off at 9 pm when the kids go to sleep. and the FM transmitter will go till the show ends. I also built a custom box for the radio to keep it dry and safe.

Mike Arnott wrote:

A lot of guys say Ramsey but which model? There is a $45 there. Is that OK. Help a guy out!!

Avoid that one (if it the 10) as that is not PLL driven, and the frequency drifts somewhat!

If you are going Ramsey - the FM25B has a good audio and rf section. So does the more expesnive FM 30B.

The FM 100B, is pricier. It has basically the same rf section as the 25B, but has a better front end for audio, with LED VU meters, decent AGC, 3 inputs (2 line level, one mike), etc.

Greg