Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering the Servo Dog

Bowshock

Hey Bow! You wont be able to run the DC from the LOR DC card (12v) into the servos... 12 > 5.. would burn them up. If you have an old router wallwart, that'll give you 5vdc @ 2a I have several from old D-Link routers that I used for my skulls last year. I ran 3 seperate Lynx SSC32 controllers off 3 router wall warts. Each controller ran 4 skulls, 2 servos per.. If you dont have any handy, Frys Electronics should have them.. and it's Friday, they always have sales on Friday..

Always double check the spec sheets for the servos you are using. I am not sure of your applications but I use some fairly heavy duty servos and 2 amps wouldn't cut it. Also check at what the max voltage is for your servos are, so can't run on the max of 6 volts like other ones.

The Servodog is the best controller that Dan has engineered in my worthless opinion. I have 2 and feed the boards 12volt from a powersupply. Be careful of the input voltage going over 14 volts. The Servodog has an onboard regulator that is set by default at 6 volts for the servos which means you do not need a separate 6 volt supply unless you have a whopping servo. Should you have some unusual servo that requires a different voltage you can set the regulator with the adjustment knob. Depending on the type of servo that you use and the amount of torque required is how many supply amps that you will need. But to give you an idea, I had 8 servos that are fairly high torque that the onboard supply handled quite well. I used a 12 volt supply around 6-8 amps for inrush.

When I first started using the Servodog the servos would run okay then go crazy for what I thought was a random act and it was running me crazy. Then at 3 oclock in the morning before Halloween, I sat up in bed and realized that I was current starving the servos and needed a larger amperage power supply. I got up and got a battery off of my RV to test my theory and sure enough the servos ran fine. So, please learn from my mistakes and use a good sized supply. The RV battery worked quite well BTW.
Al

I converted a PC power supply and it works great!

Find the instructions on how to do that here http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm

Attached is a picture of the end results. You'll notice 5 posts on top - two large reds are 12VDC+ each - then two grounds (black) - then another smaller Red which is 5VDC which I installed for future. My power supply had/has a built in power switch - so as you read in the conversion article I connected the power switch leads (green and black) together and just use the built in power switch to power it on. I also added a red LED power light - and installed the power resistor for balance - again Read The Article Closely. Mine works very nicely, and I only have a ten bucks into the posts and resistor (Radio Shack). I also put a fuse between the V+ connection on Servo Dog and a 12V red post for good measure. Two wires are all thats needed to run Servo Dog, V+ and Ground.

Attached files 212962=11875-PC-PS.jpg

• 1 month later...

FOLLOW-UP ON PREVIOUS POST

I ran into some troubles with my power supply shown in the previous post. After a few minutess of operation the system became jittery and unstable. I determined that the power supply was either under powered, or that the DC output was not a smooth output, and since I don't have an oscilloscope to test it, I switched to a Gell Cell battery. I found a great buy on two used 200 Ah computer UPS batteries for a mere $30 each. The were never installed and are only 14 months old.

Funky thing is they are 6 volt and my only way to charge them is series them together to 12 volt and charge. My servo dog runs just fine on one. I'll have to determine if I want to play switch a roo with them or just run off 12 V and leave the battery conditioner plugged in all the time.

Any thoughts?