Light-O-Rama Forums

My New Website!!!

wglyons

bwaldrep wrote:

I'm personally never a fan of a site, that auto starts music, or video.

At least the pause button is visible. On some sites that auto-start music you have no choice but to mute you speaker or leave the site.

One other thing: It's usually a bad idea to put your email address on your web site because it will soon get harvested by spam bots. Yes, Yahoo has a pretty good spam filter, but it's better to not get it started. On my web site, I have a contact form to avoid exposing my email address.

I noticed that your email address can be found on at least three sites.

Very nice site. Just guessing here, but I would say it's not the first website you have designed. If it is, then you should be doing it for a living.

jim6918 wrote:

Just guessing here, but I would say it's not the first website you have designed.

It appears that Greg has also designed this site, apparently for his wife's small business. Right Greg?

WOW!!! Thank you for all of the great comments...

Based on the feedback, I have made a couple of small changes. First, I turned off the auto play on the music (cuz now that you mention it, that stuff bugs me too!!!). Second, I removed the email address and added a "Contac Us" form instead. I also did this on the small business website...

As far as the web design, I'm just using a free template from http://www.yola.com - so, thank you for the compliments, but it's really just me taking a template and customizing it with photos and content...Anyway, what I will do (and have done for the mowing business website), is register a ".info" web address with GoDaddy for like $1 for the first year. Then, I forward the web address to the Yola site, which like I said, is a free template as well as free web hosting...

For example, I plan on registering "www.lyonslights.info", or something like that. When you type that in, you will get forwarded to "lyonschristmas.yolasite.com". I will forward with masking, so in the address bar it will still read "www.lyonslights.info. If you go visit http://www.lawnandorder.info, you will see how this works - you will actually be visiting lawnandorder.yolasite.com.

If you've been thinking about a website, I recommend Yola as it's easy to use and it's FREE (and no, I don't work for or have any affiliation with Yola.com ;) )

Thanks again for the comments!!!!

Greg

Looks good! I too am in the process of a new website and due to the feedback you received, I removed my email from mine and used a contact form as well. I also like the option to play or stop the music on your page. I personally turned it on while looking around the site. Keep up the good work.