Light-O-Rama Forums

Cheap LED Lights

drumm3r1221

The thing I'm wondering is, as of March 1st the standards changed for LED construction because of the galvanic corrosion issues. The maufactureres in China where going to start using the copper for both the socket tabs and the leads on the LED's to fix this. That was the reason Paul at CDI wanted to get his first big order in to beat the increase expected with the upgrade. I'm wondering IF this included the lower cost sets all the brick and mortars push? Most are still removable bulb but has anyone popped one out to check yet? Maybe I'll have to check Menards this weekend as I saw new stuff there. Fleet you can't trust as they'll skid leftovers and hold for next year rather than give them away. In the past I've bought C6's there and they where already rusted.

Lenny

LENNY RUEL wrote:

Fleet you can't trust as they'll skid leftovers and hold for next year rather than give them away. In the past I've bought C6's there and they where already rusted.

The only LED's I've ever cooked (outside of the ones from Paul a while back) are ones I purchased at Mills Fleet Farm. Made by Sylvania. They didn't even last through one evening. I'll never buy lights at Mills Fleet again, nor will I ever buy Sylvania brand again.

Yep, have the C6 red and green stung from candy cane to peppermint stick around my entire yard, and C7 in the same oulining my entire roof line. Gave every socket the dieleclric grease treatment and no problems. But on static all of the time. This year they are on contollers but I know they aren't dimmable so off and on only.

Hope to get this year out of them and then trash them.

Lenny

This is the absolute worst time of year to find affordable lights. If you need something specific that's one thing... but to outfit your entire display this time of year is just un-doable for the numbers of lights many people on these forums use. The best online deals are pre-season prices in February. Of course, there's always the left-overs in January but that's not going to do you much good this year. Good luck.

Ok we were at Sam club tonight and they have what i consider very cheap leds here are some of the prices, 50 count c9s $9.98, 180 count c6s $18.43 and then they have what look like reg christmas lights but say there leds any how they are 250 count $24.32 sounds good to me anybody have any exsperance with lights from Sams

No exp with Sams, but be careful with the big box store LED's. While they can be more affordable there are some possible problems, most important not all of them are dimmable which is huge if you are sequencing. There is a big difference in being able to fade up or down, twinkle and shimmer vs just on or off. I have 50 sets of Green/Red Sylvania about half are C6 and half C7 that are on off only. One of the next things on the list to replace. Another is most are not sealed watertight and the moisture causes galvanic corrosion. With the current draw so low the least amount of rust on the leads will knock them out. They are made like mini lights in that the sockets have copper tabs, but the leads are tinned mild steel or something else and the old dissimilar metals rule kicks in.

The standards where changed I think it was March 1st and the manufacturers in China where going to all copper to fix that. Don't know yet if this years big box lights have the fix. The commercial grade strings we buy from CDI, Christmas LED"s etc that came in later will. A lot of the early season preorders where done before that to beat the price increases expected with the upgrade bu they are sealed so moisture can't get in to the socket. Down side is on the commercial sealed strings if one goes out they all do and it isn't easy to find the bad one. I know my Sylvania from Fleet Farm I had three or four go out during the year and they stay on and I can replace the bulbs.

But as mentioned the BEST thing is to get in on the early sales after the 1st of the year that our suppliers offer us. They are preorders, but as a price comparison last year Home Depot was selling I think it was 60 light GE LED M5 sets full price at $9.99. Decent sets, and with the incan $3.00 off trade in and the GE $3.00 off mfg rebate we where hitting them with they where $3.99. But at the full price of $9.99 which a lot of people paid for them. Now on CDI's preorder I bought M6 which are just slightly bigger for $9.50 for red 100 count strings. So people CAN easily get the commercial grade or professional strings at a very good price. You will notice price varies by Color and most of the time you have to buy case qty which is normally 12. Usually you'll get them then during the summer once the containers get to the states.

Lenny

PS with the price by color variation the big boxes tend to want 1 price point for all colors of a particular size so Green will be hard to find. Last year Walmart had cases of 5M lights that came 24 to a case mixed. Usually there was only between 2 and 4 sets of Green a few more Red, but about 75% where blue in each case. With Green being the more expensive to make the manufactures equalled out the same price request with less sets of that color.

Thanks Lenny, i was mainly interested in the c9s i think i will buy one set and get them conected to a controller and see how the fare, also i will look at the box a little closer and see what the exact specs are, thanks again, Dale