Light-O-Rama Forums

See my latest Halloween VIDEO for my 16 Channel Sequece: The Monster Mash AWESOME!

Guest guest

Check this out guys! I have a link below to my new LOR music lights animation video for you. This new 16 channel sequence is from the well known Halloween Hit "The Monster Mash" from 1962!

My lab/garage is where I setup a mini layout of my Halloween layout for the front yard.

Still trying to get the white LED mini trees to fade like the regular mini lamps, but they come on too quick. They don't flicker like older LOR controllers do, so that's not my problem, they just have a much faster response time than lamps, they just come on quicker than other lights. LEDs are diodes, so they have a steep on off current curve, unlike normal lamps that come on gracefully.

Any suggestions on getting LED trees to fade in and out more slowly would help a lot!

Anyway, I hope you guys like this, it took me only 5 hours, as opposed to my other Halloween video from last week, Wizards Of Winter, which took 10 hours.

Re-using your passages, and repeated choruses with cut and paste really quickens the pace.

Be sure to post your comments or suggestions here on my sequence.

Here's the video, it's a standard Windows Media Video (WMV), 6.8 MB download, should take about 5 seconds before it buffers and starts playing:

http://lauderdalechristmas.com/videos/Monster-mash_2006.wmv

Below is a screen shot of the musical sequence window from part of the song, showing all 16 channels, including 12 channels of pumkins, a rope light channel, 2 large pumkins, and a set of skull lights.

ENJOY!:waycool::devil:

Attached files 70158=4260-mash1.jpg

Here is the animation screen layout for the above video. You can see the 12 pumpkins in a circle, the L-shaped rope light, and the line of skull lights in the middle.

This one looks gorgeous on the LOR Sequence simulator during playback.

Attached files 70159=4261-mash2.jpg

Glad to see the sequence. You went a different route than I have. I'm looking to accentuate the house with various stobe, floods, and strings. This layout looks independent of the house and I think gives you more creative freedom. I was going to use Monster Mash, but I'm up to 7 sequences now and that may be too many. (Is that possible?!?!?:shock:)

Definately some creative juices flowing here. Wish I had the space to lay mine all out instead of just sitting on the workbench.....

Maybe I should post some screenshots/animation captures on this board? I'm so new I don't want to insult some of the veterans.

rns

Sorry to be critical here, but the version of the song you used is a remake of the origional hit. I know a lot of "oldies" fans cringe (like myself) when they hear radio stations play remakes by "one or more of the original group members". Just an FYI.

Mike

Jeff:

Whoever put the song up there was not very knowledgable on music, as it is definitely not the original version. You have to have heard the original hundreds of times and then you immediately know it's not right. Your's does sound like Bobby "Boris" Pickett but the background sounds and music are completely wrong. It happened a lot in the 60's and 70's when artists changed record labels and had to redo their "hits" as the original record company would not part with the master tape.

Mike

radioguy1007 wrote:

Jeff:

Whoever put the song up there was not very knowledgable on music, as it is definitely not the original version. You have to have heard the original hundreds of times and then you immediately know it's not right. Your's does sound like Bobby "Boris" Pickett but the background sounds and music are completely wrong. It happened a lot in the 60's and 70's when artists changed record labels and had to redo their "hits" as the original record company would not part with the master tape.

Mike

Regardless if it is the original or not...the sequence was good and I think anyone on the Trick or Treat scene will enjoy it for what it is...not what it isn't.

In either case, I'll look at putting some of the animation captures up somewhere. Need to compress them unless you really want to download a 70Mb video! :shock:

rns

I used Windows Movie Maker to make my videos. It's supplied with XP.

When I save a video, I choose "Pocket PC" as the output, which saves it as a 320 x 240 window, and the file sizes usually end up in the 5-7MB range, depending on the length of the song.

Yeah, it's definately NOT the original.

Tim

radioguy1007 wrote:

Sorry to be critical here, but the version of the song you used is a remake of the origional hit. I know a lot of "oldies" fans cringe (like myself) when they hear radio stations play remakes by "one or more of the original group members". Just an FYI.

Mike

For the record, the display looks great! I don't think the others are trying to criticize your work by picking on the 'version' used, but it's kind of coming off that way.

Most people won't know the difference, and most of the rest will think you consciously chose the one you did -- nothing wrong with that.

Sort of like "Mony Mony". Is it Tommy James or Billy Idol? Most older folks would say James is the 'real' version, but I grew up with Idol, so that's the one I'd use... ;)

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

For the record, the display looks great! I don't think the others are trying to criticize your work by picking on the 'version' used, but it's kind of coming off that way.

Most people won't know the difference, and most of the rest will think you consciously chose the one you did -- nothing wrong with that.

Sort of like "Mony Mony". Is it Tommy James or Billy Idol? Most older folks would say James is the 'real' version, but I grew up with Idol, so that's the one I'd use... :)

-Tim

Tim:

I was NOT criticizing the sequence or work, just trying to point out the song version is not the original hit recording. There is a big difference between a re-recording and a cover version like your "Mony Mony" example. Linda Rondstadt would be a nothing if not for her covers of other hit songs. What does bother a lot of true oldies fans is when a radio station plays one of the remakes of a big hit, because the artist changed labels or did a cheap re-recording for another label. Or the group broke up and one or more of the "original memebers" redid the hit. They typically show up on these compilation CD's of "The Greatest Hits of 19 (fill in the year)" things out there that are on some unknown record label.

Monster Mash was a huge record. It still gets a lot of airplay on commercial radio around this time of year (wonder why). I know that a lot of members may not have been born yet when this song was first released, but I was just trying to enlighten Jeff on the issue. The backround music is wrong, the sound effects wrong, the background singing is wrong, and the inflection in Bobby's voice is different. I may not be like "most people" in musical taste, but then again I wonder if others think all of us here are not like "most people" in a different way because of our passion for holiday lighting.

Mike

radioguy1007 wrote:

I was NOT criticizing the sequence or work, just trying to point out the song version is not the original hit recording.

Mike -- I didn't mean to say that you were, or to offend you. I just felt bad for Jeff -- he posted his work all excited-like, presumably hoping for some high-fives and such, and most of the comments were people going back and forth about the "authenticity" of his choice of music. If I had been Jeff, I would have been bummed out.

I know you didn't mean it bad, but was just trying to steer the thread back to the main reasons Jeff posted to begin with... Don't hate me :happytree:.

-Tim

Ok, here's my latest new 16 channel sequence from "Werewolves Of London" by Warren Zevon. Hopefully this will cause less controversy than my Monster Mash video last night, with all the talk about which version was the original artist.

Be sure to post your comments or suggestions here on my sequence.

Here's the video, it's a standard Windows Media Video (WMV), 6.6 MB download, should take about 5 seconds before it buffers and starts playing:

http://lauderdalechristmas.com/videos/werewolves-of-london_2006.wmv

ENJOY!:waycool::devil:

tfischer wrote:

radioguy1007 wrote:
I was NOT criticizing the sequence or work, just trying to point out the song version is not the original hit recording.

Mike -- I didn't mean to say that you were, or to offend you. I just felt bad for Jeff -- he posted his work all excited-like, presumably hoping for some high-fives and such, and most of the comments were people going back and forth about the "authenticity" of his choice of music. If I had been Jeff, I would have been bummed out.

I know you didn't mean it bad, but was just trying to steer the thread back to the main reasons Jeff posted to begin with... Don't hate me :happytree:.

-Tim

Tim:

No problem - if I did not point out the song version problem I'm sure someone else would have. I'm mad at these companies that allow this trash to be reissued as "origional hits - original stars".

And if anyone knows where I can get the original "Munsters" theme, please let me know!

Mike