Light-O-Rama Forums

cat 5 cable lengths

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

I do recall the first cat 5 cable can not be greater than 100 feet but then I also recall the next cat 5 cable to conect the controllers can be very long I beleive 1000 feet am I correct with this info I can not find it on the forums thanks

Don Gillespie wrote:

I do recall the first cat 5 cable can not be greater than 100 feet but then I also recall the next cat 5 cable to conect the controllers can be very long I beleive 1000 feet am I correct with this info I can not find it on the forums thanks

With regards to your first statement, it does depend on what adapter you use. Per page 7 of the manual, the distance between controller and adapter can be up to 4000ft when USB based adapters. (Granted, I wouldn't try to go that far.)

Page 4 points out that the standard allows up to 4000ft of cable. This would be your theoretical maximum cable length.

Guest wbottomley

Don Gillespie wrote:

I do recall the first cat 5 cable can not be greater than 100 feet but then I also recall the next cat 5 cable to conect the controllers can be very long I beleive 1000 feet am I correct with this info I can not find it on the forums thanks

And, in the FAQ section of LOR website too.

http://www.lightorama.com/w_faq-home.htm#_Toc124407466

Guest Don Gillespie

Thanks I new I saw it some where just running new cat 5 line the big stores are telling me that the cat 5 is going by the wayside they say the cat 6 is the way to go what does everyone think about that??

In my opinion Cat 6 is overkill for a LOR network. (Remember, a LOR network can run on Cat 3 telephone wire.)

Cat 6 is required for the fastest Broadband network speeds though.

My city became the first in the nation last week when they rolled out true Gigibyte internet speeds. Only $349 per month!

Guest Don Gillespie

JBullard wrote:

In my opinion Cat 6 is overkill for a LOR network. (Remember, a LOR network can run on Cat 3 telephone wire.)

My city became the first in the nation last week when they rolled out true Gigibyte internet speeds. Only $349 per month!

The cat 6 cable seems to be the cable available at this time I have looked every where to get cat5 I guess my question is will cat 6 work just as well as cat 5 the price difference is about 30 cents for a 100 foot roll

I realize you are in Canada, but mail order cables usually are much less expensive then retail stores.

This company has Cat5 ready made in lenths from 6 inches to 100 feet.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10208

Cat 6 will work, it is usually much stiffer wire and not as flexible (in my opinion) for running from controller to controller.

Guest Don Gillespie

Thank you sir that was the answer I was looking for cat 5 cable it will be then I can drive to Calgary to pick some or even better have it shipped out I thought the cat 6 was a stiffer cable and I wasn't sure how it would react in the cold

Just to maybe shine a little more light on this subject. Cat 6 can easily sub for Cat 5. As someone else has already said, Cat 6 is over kill (better than Cat 5 cable) and is capable of higher baud rate. And as someone else has said, stiffer than Cat 5 cable. The reason is that with Cat 5 you have 4 pairs of wires that each pair is twisted then the bundle of 4 pairs are twisted together making a fairly flexible cable. With Cat 6 you still have 4 pairs that each pair is twisted, but the 4 pairs are held a distance apart by a plastic "X" looking thing running down the middle of the cable. So, this does cut back on some of the flexibility of the cable. Also if you roll your own cables the connectors are different. Now there is a device that has been added called a bridge. The bridge is added to the cable to hold the wires in the right order as you slip the ends into the connector. But for our purpose I would think that you could still use a standard old RJ-45.

Ok, so it is over kill, but still will work in a pinch.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Thank you sir that was the answer I was looking for cat 5 cable it will be then I can drive to Calgary to pick some or even better have it shipped out I thought the cat 6 was a stiffer cable and I wasn't sure how it would react in the cold

Home Depot sales outdoor Cat5 cable. Do you have a Princess Auto store in your area Don? I was there yesterday and they were selling 50ft for $8.00 and some flat Cat5 cable that might do good in cold (5/8" wide).......little bit more money.

I just read that our winter is to be colder and longer than the last two cold winters. Heck -40c to -46.2c last year and -40 in 2008 and we are to be colder.

Where is the Global warming?

I said that because last year I did have cracking on one good quality Cat5 last year in that -40c weather. Anyhow why not look at that outdoor Cat5 cable and make your own.

It might snow/rain here on Monday.

lightzilla wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

Home Depot sales outdoor Cat5 cable. Do you have a Princess Auto store in your area Don? I was there yesterday and they were selling 50ft for $8.00 and some flat Cat5 cable that might do good in cold (5/8" wide).......little bit more money.

I just read that our winter is to be colder and longer than the last two cold winters. Heck -40c to -46.2c last year and -40 in 2008 and we are to be colder.

Where is the Global warming?

I said that because last year I did have cracking on one good quality Cat5 last year in that -40c weather. Anyhow why not look at that outdoor Cat5 cable and make your own.

It might snow/rain here on Monday.

CAT 5 (e and 6) should be fine at those temps as long as you don't move them.
Weather here is strange eh Lightzilla, chance of snow today (didnt happen here) and plus 19 (about 66F) on Sat

JBullard wrote:

I agree with John. Cat 5 is more than adequate to meet your needs.

John, only $349 per month? Heck, that's a drop in the bucket for you! :)

Greg

Guest Don Gillespie

Paulxmas wrote

CAT 5 (e and 6) should be fine at those temps as long as you don't move them.
Weather here is strange eh Lightzilla, chance of snow today (didnt happen here) and plus 19 (about 66F) on Sat

Ya these will never be moved once I install them they will be in one place for the next 25 years need more controllers can't help myself, wife thinks I have time to clean the garage duh doesn't she know there is only 60 more days to light up.

Greg Young wrote:

JBullard wrote:

John, only $349 per month? Heck, that's a drop in the bucket for you! :D

Greg

Yeah, right Greg!

So far only two individuals have signed up to have in their homes