Light-O-Rama Forums

controllers

Terry Hurrle

I have one controller that will be mounted near the roof of the house to conserve on cord lengths. I have not seen this question anywhere yet so I will ask it. Since the adapter has 2 ports on it can I run my cat5 from the one controller to one port and the the other three controllers daisey chained together to the other port on the adapter and have it work? I am sure this is probably not going to get the answer I would like to hear but I had to ask it. Any suggestions?

Terry,

Check out page 8-9 of the manual. You can have two RJ45 cables going to two separate sets of controllers. All controllers will be considered in one network.

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/RS485_Adapters_Man_Web.pdf

Double RJ45 The USB485B and the USB485-ISO adapters have two RJ45 connectors that are in parallel. These allow for more flexible placement of the adapter in a LOR network.

Another way of looking at this is that the adapter has two paths from the PC to the LOR network. Each path can have one or more LOR devices. Remember, the connectors are in parallel, so if a device on one connector path transmits on the network, devices on the other connector path will see the transmission.

Don,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the manual somewhere in my stuff but won't find it when I need it. You probably know how that is. I was glad to get this answer. WIll save me many feet of cord.
Terry

A little off topic, but I found two controllers for sale on eBay! So I wanted to pass this on to everyone else who may have missed it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lightorama-1602-W-Showtime-controller-/110575809308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Light-O-Rama-LOR-ShowTime-Controller-/290466171394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Terry Hurrle wrote:

Don,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the manual somewhere in my stuff but won't find it when I need it. You probably know how that is. I was glad to get this answer. WIll save me many feet of cord.
Terry

This is a common question and one where the answer sometimes seems to contradictory. In many posts there are statements that there can be only a single chain with RS485 and that you cannot branch off. Then it appears that you "two chains" with USB485B or the DC-MP3, etc....

The thing to remember here is that you can only have one chain but that the director (be it the PC or the DC-MP3) does not need to be at the end but can be somewhere in the middle.

====

I like printed manuals and we do include them with the items we sell. To save paper (except in a few cases) we include only one copy of the manual regardless of the number of like items you order.

If you misplace the printed manual you can find them on the support page.

Dan