Light-O-Rama Forums

Suggestions for Routing Cables

Guest guest

As many of you may know by reading my previous post, I now have 80 LOR Channels. Last year I had my controller safely in the garage and ran the extension cords out of the garage. However 80 is 64 more extension cords that I would have to run out of the garage, I doubt the door would even close, yet alone look very good.

So I am here asking for your suggestions on what to do, and also if I were to place them outside, suggestions for securing them and or hiding them.

Thanks,
Logan Moore

I actually mounted my board in a wooden box I built that I will fasten to the wall of my house. The cover screws on for security, but I may put a latch and lock on it as an illusion of being locked. I will mount this up under my porch directly to the wall using wall anchors. I plan to mount it low so it is somewhat out of sight also.

Logan,

hi !! last year i mounted a board on the front rail of my porch. i have the older iron railing. i used two boards one top and one bottom with some bolts and faced the box to the inside( to help with Vandals and such) my cords ran under my railing. it wasn't the most sophisticated set up but it worked well. not to mention i had a light above (from the porch) handy if i needed to do any maintenance on it! i think i'am going to mount my next one on my front light pole, after all they are weather resistant. i noticed on a video of Darryl B's mega tree he had his mounted under the tree on the pole. just a thought! good luck!

Your showtime controllers are very weatherproof, and quite durable. If you're worried about security, chain them to something immoble and lock them up. I don't think you'll have any issues, personally...

As you've probably read, I'm firmly in the "place the controllers as close to the lights as practical" camp...

-Tim

Tim,

hello and best wishes! i haven't been on for most of the summer(a few personal issues) and i hope to cram in a couple of musical sequences prior to launch, but just wanted to say hi and let you know how much i like to here from the big players of holiday lighting!

I have a bank of GFI outlets inside of the garage. From the GFIs I use 10 guage extension cords running from the garage to the front yard with a drop at each contoller box. The controller boxes are mounted on temporary fence posts as close to the lights as possible. The controller boxes are spray painted in camo then chained and locked to trees. The boxes blend with the shrubs. This works well in Texas where we don't usually have snow.

Then I use smaller gauge, shorter and much cheaper extension cords to connect the controllers to the lights.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck.

John

I place my boards out in the display. I mount them to a post that I place in the ground before it freezes. With Illinois weather, once the ground freezes, those post with not come out of the ground until spring. I usually will put the post then mount the box to the post behind a bush or shrub. Out of sight, out of mind.

How do the showtime controllers stand up to the midwest winters? I live in Wisconsin and I was goiing to mount the controllers in an alcove in front of the house. However if I do this I will have to lay 48 extension cords across the walkway to the front door. Not sure I want to risk someone tripping over them. Can I put them out in the yard or do they need to be covered or enclosed? Any suggestions appreciated.