Light-O-Rama Forums

arch winder

Ralph D

there is a guy who made a arch winder and sells it as a kit.he also is a lor user. does anyone know how to contact him. he also put his videos on google.

thanks.

im sure im spelling it wrong, but his name is loll,
and his place on video at least is called papas christmas workshop. he has a great wire bending video too. does anyone know how to contact him. or does anyone know his website

Thanks everyone. yes it is lowell im looking for. he emailed me back and things are moving. thank god.

I do have another question for everyone. id like to here how people are winding there lights. I ask because my led's im winding have a spacing of 4in apart and they are 70 count sets. so if i try to be neat about it and winde them next to each other they just winde in one stright row. so i have to winde a couple of times around, then back tract its a mess when done but looks nice in the dark. lowells on the other hand. if you look at his they are perfect. is mine a mess because of the spacing between the led's? not sure what im doing wrong. can anyone lend a hand and explain.

Ralph, sounds like you are using 3/4 inch tubing. With 4" light spacing, they do that. With 4"spaced LEDs, I use one inch pipe.

Guest wbottomley

I have been using Lowell's winder for year 2 now. It works great to this day and recommend it to anyone!

As far as looking good in the day time, I don't worry about that. It only needs to look good at night!

Here's an image of the results...

DSC01417.jpg

IMG00106.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

Minus the 1/2 set out.

ohhh one inch pipe...yes! dint think of that. i am using 3/25 pvc im going to get 1 inch tomorrow!

Wow Mountainwxman, im so happy i ordered it today. i sent you a pm. mine look nothing like yours. but mine work great. dont laugh but till now it has been taking me about 5 hours per arch to make (not kidding at all) and a back braker. cant wait till i get the winder from lowell! yes.

Mountainwxman wrote:

Minus the 1/2 set out.

And the newbie lesson there is to fold your light sets in half and then if half goes out you'll still have 50 lights out but at least you won't have a totally dark spot. Newbie lesson part B is to have a couple of sets of 50's laying around for emergency field repairs on an arch or pole segment.

Ralph - the fold in half trick works pretty well to help with your lining up issue on that 3/4" conduit if you don't want to go up to 1" stock. When you fold the lights make sure you offset them, but NOT so that all the lights are exactly the same distance apart. You want them staggered so if you fold them and then center the bulbs you'll still have the same problem.

Hey those pictures look vaguely familiar -

Ralph - he is right - the pipes only have to look good at night - you can put a sleeve on the driver and use 1 inch pipe if you like, but I have always been able to overcome the line up challenge with the power wire you wrap underneath the lights. William, thanks for adding the pictures. I know there are quite a few winders out there, and I only hear back from a few who stay in touch. So far no break downs or returns.

Mountainwxman wrote:

I have been using Lowell's winder for year 2 now. It works great to this day and recommend it to anyone!

As far as looking good in the day time, I don't worry about that. It only needs to look good at night!

DSC01417.jpg

IMG00106.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

Minus the 1/2 set out.

Mountainwxman wrote:

Minus the 1/2 set out.

William:

I thought that was just an upside-down exclamation point! :)

Cray

Im happy today! I got my granger foot peddle today!one part down a few let to get till im arching again!