Light-O-Rama Forums

Likely FAQ: Recording your LOR Animation in Windows?

Guest guest

We just had a topic about this very thing this week here:

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/7087.html

I use a Sony digital video camcorder that has a tiny 4 pin 1394 FireWire connector. I use a FIreWire cable from the camera to my Dell Inspiron laptop, which also has a 1394 FireWire connector.

Most people here tend to like Pinnacle Studio as their video processing tool. I have not bought it yet, but I used WIndows XP's "Windows Movie Maker". Most people don't know they have it on their PC. It can save videos in the standard Windows Media Player format, ".WMV". You can set the output video to be any size or quality. I usually choose 1/2 VGA, which is 320 x 240. A 3 minute video is about 6 MB. This is about as much as you want to do for web downloads.

To locate Windows Movie Maker on your PC, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories

and you'll see it on the menu list there: Windows Movie Maker

One you're in that program, a video capture wizard should pop up after you turn on your camera to play the video into the Movie Maker program.

From there, it's pretty easy to add credits and titles and fades, simple stuff to get you going.

If you want to see a sample lighting animation video made with Windows Movie Maker, see my other post from this evening:

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/7156.html

I assume you meant to record your Windows Desktop view and not the actual light display? That is something I am looking for also. I want to send the animation/sound to some friends (maybe YouTube) to get their feedback. I'm not ready to setup the lights full scale yet.

Other than Macromedia Flash (like the LOR tutorials), what else are people using?

rns

Ok, if you want to record a video of the screen itself, that is you want to make a vidoe of your simulation window inside the sequence editor, there is a great program called SnagIt. Most professional web people use it, about $70.

I bought so I could screen capture long web pages into a document. It's awesome for that.

SnagIT will grab scrolling windows, copy a region of a window to the clipboard, a million things!

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp

I've only used one program, so I can't say anything towards the others. I use easy screen capture video version #2. It costs $20. If you want to be cheap, it has a full featured trial version which you can get months of free use out of. Then, I use windows movie maker to do any editing. It's on your start menu if you have XP.

Check out the videos on my site. I think you'll agree the quality is excellent for $20 and windows movie maker (free on XP.) All of the videos here were made with these two programs.

• 2 weeks later...

contactmike1 wrote:

. I use easy screen capture video version #2. It costs $20. If you want to be cheap, it has a full featured trial version which you can get months of free use out of.

Where did you get this? I need to send some video of a sequence to a friend and I need something to do this.