Light-O-Rama Forums

Stand for LOR RGB50 Flood Lights

NJJohn

After all the extremely great ideas and useful help and I have received from this forum, I finally feel I can share something back.  I purchased six of the LOR RGB 50W floods this year and first let me say I LOVE them.  They completely wash my two story house and its an even wash not the cone like wash I used to get from regular floods.  One of the best purchases I have ever bought.  Thanks LOR.  Anyway, back to the reason I originally started this thread.  I didn't want these to sit on the ground so I needed to come up with a quick and easy method of mounting them off the ground.  Wandering around HomeDepot looking for ideas, I stumbled on small black milk crates and the idea just came to me.  I bought six of them and the necessary bolts and washers and it was back to my workshop for construction.  I have attached pictures and the funny thing is that when this idea came to me, I only thought of how I would keep the floods of the ground, I didn't even realize the greatest benefit of all which was the protection they provide for each light during storage.  THEY STACK ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND PROTECT THE LIGHT BELOW.  I now need to get two more so I can provide protection for the top two when storing them.

I have attached pictures so you can see what I am talking about.  Hopefully someone else will find this useful.  I finally feel that I can pay back a little for all of the knowledge I have received from the great people on this forum.

Merry Christmas to all.

John

post-10319-0-55310100-1450535671_thumb.j

post-10319-0-00394500-1450535672_thumb.j

post-10319-0-32096600-1450535672_thumb.j

• Like 1

Pest, didn't really think of that when I was doing it. My main priority when I was doing it was time.  I only had about one hour to make six of them so when I noticed the power source fit perfectly in that groove, I threw a few screws in it a viola, it worked.  I will definitely consider that as an off season modification.  They have been working perfect for me.  We have had two really bad days of rain and it keeps them from sitting in any water and they will still be visible with at least 15" of snow on the ground should we get some.  All the cables hide nicely within the crate the best thing was that I don't need to take them apart to store and protect the floods.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

John

• 1 year later...

I just used this solution, great idea, simple to build and creates a nice sturdy base that will keep the lights out of the snow (hopefully). I did take the Pest's advice and mount the power supply inside the crate for a little extra protection.

I wrote a blog about the build if anyone else is looking to do this.,

https://chasinrudolph.ca/2017/11/21/milk-crates-and-floodlights/

ChasinRudolf, I'm glad this solution worked out for you. It was simple and I love the way they stack for storage.  I did the same thing and purchased two extra ones to protect the top spot light during storage.  I agree, these lights are beasts, I now have eight of them and they wash my two story house perfectly.  Thanks for the shout out in your blog whcih by the way I really like.  I will be bookmarking it so I can go back and watch the progress.  HAppy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.

John

• The topic was locked