Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Listener Problem?

jimswinder

Starting tonight, I have one song that won't play...has played all season flawlessly.

Other than its "All About That Bass", can anyone decipher the problem?

Status Log:

7:06:50 PM: ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Invalid procedure call or argument

Trace: XmitData

Trace: FlushCB

Trace: BlockCommit

Trace: Add IO Device) Musical: C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\2 2014 - All About That Bass - Meaghan Trainor.lms.lcs

7:06:50 PM: ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Open of serial port has failed

Error: (8002) Open of serial port has failed

Error: (8002) Com Port Error

While: Open COM3 params baud=56000 parity=n data=8 stop=1 xon=off odsr=off dtr=off rts=off idsr=off

While: Open COM3 params baud=56000 parity=n data=8 stop=1 xon=off odsr=off dtr=off rts=off idsr=off

Trace: SetIntensity

8:05:37 PM: ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Invalid procedure call or argument

Trace: Add IO Device) Musical: C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\2 2014 - All About That Bass - Meaghan Trainor.lms.lcs

8:05:37 PM: ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Open of serial port has failed

9:03:09 PM: ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Invalid procedure call or argument

9:03:09 PM: ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Open of serial port has failed

Update: Sequence Editor has no problem playing this song...but I did upgrade to Version 3.12.0 that day.

This doesn't look like a DMX Listener issue to me.  This message is coming from either the Sequence Editor or the Show Player, not the DMX Listener. 

It's saying that it can't successfully open the comm port COM3.  Generally (but not always) that means that some other application already has it open.  What network are you trying to use COM3 for? Are you sure you don't have it also set up as some DMX universe?

It only happened that one night...and only on that one song. I changed nothing, other than updating to Version 3.12.0 earlier that day...not saying that was the problem...

Just another computer glich that will never be solved.  LOL

• 2 months later...

I have a problem with the comm listener. When I get everything up and running, the comm listener comes up and says it is open to my actidongle. When I play the sequence. The comm listener does not react. Like it is not getting anything from the sequence editor. Control light is checked and I do have the blue box in the lower right, as I have the LOR adapters also plugged in to the computer (no controllers attached to them). When I unplug the actidongle USB from the computer, the lights go into test mode. And the comm listener says it has lost contact with the DMX. When I plug the actidongle back into the USB, the comm listener opens and knows and identify the actidongle. Strange that everything seem to work the other night. I did run a number of sequences the other night and everything was good. Wanted to show the Queen how the new prop would look and I had the above problem.

Any suggestions?

It's possible that something like a firewall program or an overzealous antimalware tool is blocking the Sequence Editor from sending to the Comm Listener.  Do you have anything like that? If so, try checking their configuration to see if they might be doing that. 

If after that it's still unclear whether or not they're doing that, try changing the Comm Listener's listening port (in Network Preferences / DMX / Listener Port).  By default it's 8837; maybe a firewall is blocking access to that port.  So shut down the Sequence Editor, then try changing the listener port to something else (let's say 8937, for example).  The Comm Listener should then automatically restart, and after that try starting up the Sequence Editor.

If I remember right, I disabled the firewall and malware, as I don't have the computer connected to the internet except to do an LOR download or firmware update.

Well I don't know what's going on. Got home fired up the computer and everything worked. The only thing I did was to change the network settings and disabled the com ports for my LOR controllers.