Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Editor Search & Replace

A10LM

Is there an easy way to change one value in a selected sequence to another value?  When I switched from SuperStar to Sequence Editor and then played it on the actual equipment I found I didn't like some of the colours or intensities, so I am dimming a bunch of LED's to look better with the mini lights, and changing one color to another, etc.  Is there any shortcut way to do this?

I frequently do that in Notepad++ but its easy to break the sequence, so make sure you have a copy backed up if you intend to try.

Same here. I have edited the lms file in Notepad. That goes easily enough, but like Phil said, it's easy to break the file if you don't know what you're doing, so save with a new filename and test very frequently. I use the song name followed by the date and time (for example: Wizards in Winter 2014-10-17_0854.lms if I were saving at this time). BTW, use the date/time order I used so it sorts right in a windows filename sort.

It's an XML File!?  Cool!

In my younger days I would have tried to edit it, even if it was hex, but I guess I am getting old....

I thought I was being smart and only changing a few intensities, but then it gives me the following error:

Unexpected Save File Information Found.

Any idea why?  Is it case sensitive or something?  I thought I kept the case.  :-O

At least I saved it with a different file name!  :-)

The search may be case sensitive depending on what editor you use. But mostly you have to be careful and precise with your search terms or it may replace something in another part of the sequence, such as the row indexes at the bottom of each sequence and timing numbers. There are other values outside of the channel data which may get replaced also it you do a S&R of, for example 50. 

I usually make a change. then without closing notepad++ open it in the seq editor to make sure I didn't break anything. If I did, back to Notepad and undo to learn what I did wrong.

Like Jim said test frequently especially until you learn what breaks the files.

Glad you backed it up.

If you did a "replace all" you likely changed something you did not want to change. I generally do not do a replace all for that exact reason - I have been burned that way. The other tip is to make the search longer rather than shorter. I'm on my phone right now so I can't give a good example, but I will do so later tonight. And yes, there are some parts that are case sensitive.

Yep, it was a case problem.  I did a search for intensity="100" and replaced with intensity="30", but it changed startIntensity="100" to startintensity="30" with a lower case i, and that did it.  So I just have to make sure to us case sensitive replaces.  :-)