Light-O-Rama Forums

Tennessee ++ Fall Mini

Ron Boyd

Tennessee ++ Fall Mini 

All are invited, not just the folks from TN. In March, we had folks from TN, GA, NC, AL, FL and we also had someone join us from New Zealand, by far winning the most distance traveled. 

WHEN: Saturday, September 20, 2014 

WHERE: Doug Delongs house 3787 Blue Springs Road in Cleveland, TN 

TIME: TBD (usually 9 am – 4 pm) 

We’ll take up $$$ for lunch, usually pizza or Subway.

We will discuss all aspects of putting together a great display from nuts and bolts to finished display. This is a great time for newcomers to ask questions.  

Topics will/can range from: 

Lights to use: Incandescent, LED’s, RGB dumb and smart strings, Matrices, mega trees, and Coro elements. 

Hardware: basic controllers, miniature pixel controllers, E1.31, Sandevices, J1SYS, dumb and smart controllers, etc.

Software: LOR, Vixen, Hls, Superstar, Xlights/Nutcracker and if needed, how to use Vegomatic to easily add RGB channels to LOR S3.

Power Injection: This is something that all can learn when using the low voltage, DC items such as pixels and basic RGB

If the interest is there, several of us can demonstrate good and most likely, different techniques for soldering, ie. connecting pixel strips or strings, adding pigtails, soldering together controller boards and such. 

Been there, done that. We can have one on one instruction if the need arises. Lots of us have been doing this for several years and have the "Been there, done that and I got the t-shirt" mentality. We're all willing to share our experiences, good and bad.

Construction of elements: Need ideas how to construct leaping arches, mega trees, spiral trees, Marty fan, etc. Bring your new, cool element, to show off. It gives others ideas for creating new exciting elements for their display as well as how to build them. 

What’s new: Let’s talk about the new stuff which will hopefully include an update on LOR S3. 

Buy and Sell: There are almost always items for sale.

Mark your calendar for the 20th.

More info to come.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Boyd

• dougd

• Jeff Messer

• Kendall Walker

Count me in this year. I have been out of the loop since Jan. I moved and thought about selling my stuff. Just could not do it. Will have to down size and beak in new neighbors lol.

Scott

I might be attempting to head that direction.. Down here in Calhoun, GA and this is my first year. Excited for the light nights to begin.

Can't Wait I am ready to come and see everyone again. I enjoyed the spring Mini and meeting everybody.

Planning on being there. Would love to see an example of someone's RGB window frames. Also, anyone with falcon product knowledge.  Looking forward to it. 

First, looking forward to seeing everyone.

Planning on being there. Would love to see an example of someone's RGB window frames. Also, anyone with falcon product knowledge.  Looking forward to it. 

Several of us have window frames with RGB. If I don't forget, I'll bring 1 of 4 of mine.

Might need to make the trip from Dallas, GA. Do we need to RSVP or just show up?

Either. Most folks just show up. It's always good to have someone new come to the mini. Fresh ideas for you and us. Come on up. it's always a good time and I promise, everybody will learn something new.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Getting down to almost time. If you can make it to Cleveland in a couple of weeks, it's sure to be a great time. Looking forward to seeing everybody again.

I don't know if I can attend this all day.

I may run over in the morning and say "hi" to everyone. (steal some doughnuts!)

My work load has been extremely heavy lately. Half of my team was laid off because of negative attitudes.

So let this be a warning, if you have a good job with decent pay and they want you to do the work, just do it with a smile.

We had some team members who complained about everything... Well the company let them go.

Now there are three of us covering the US. I am killing the Skymiles account, but free time has disappeared for now.

Weekends are the only time I can get stuff done around the house... My light show may suffer.

I need to spend more of my time on the plane sequencing.

I have already decided to cut my hour program down to 25 minutes with a five minute interlude to allow people leave before the next show.

That should get me down to seven songs... Which I haven't even started yet.

I haven't even started building my visualizer.

Not to mention the static displays which I have planned. I want to build Snoopy's dog house to put some LOR controllers in and Snoopy lit up on the top.

And these chasing / leaping arches take forever.

So much stress before Christmas...

Jennifer won Teacher of the Year for Cherokee County tonight.

Because we were there, they announced that my show would be bigger and better than last year and every one should show up and make a donation to the playground fund.

So now I have to make the show exciting. (Maybe it would have been easier to donate the 8K which I invested in the show.)

I am looking forward to giving out the 5000 candycanes which I have stored so I get some closet space back. :)

What a hard life we live with this hobby.

Yea, I may stop by before the schooling starts and mingle then head back to the mountains.

If you guys need me to bring anything, just ask. I am here for you.

OK... I am now officially out! Ugh!

My wife crashed her Camaro last month. She was T-boned at low speed,

9K damage to her car and totaled the woman's (POS) who hit her and no one was hurt.

They said it would be ready on Friday.

So I get to go pick it up in Buford, GA on Saturday.

Time wise, I can't catch a break.

I hope you all have a great time at Doug's.

There is always plenty of good info shared.

I will miss all of you.

Thats too bad Mike. I know my weekends from this point forward are quite precious. Hopefully we will get to see you next spring. Swing by the house anytime. 

Count me in.  Can't wait to see everyone again.  Does anyone know how to import LOR .lms files into Xlights/Nutcracker?  I haven't had much success trying to do that.  I was thinking of having Xlights/Nutcracker run the show this year.  I hope some of you experts can help me out at the MINI.

I'm pretty sure Andy can do that and probably several others.

Time for the Mini is 9 am until ?? Usually ends up being around 4 pm or so. 

Looking forward to another day of talking Blinky Flashy with more lighting nuts. See you all on Saturday

Looking forward to it.  No hotel reservations made so hopefully I don't wind up camping in Doug's front yard.  HA HA.  Big dog - I have imported all my LOR sequences this year into XL/NC. So far so good.