Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone here order 12VDC 2811 Technicolor pixels from Wu?

zman

Little confused - Ray should know whom he sold Technicolor Pixel or is this to figure out how many LOR users also use Technicolor pixels? Also - what kind of information are you looking for?

I wanted to know who from the decorating community bought them.

Info has come up that they should not be driven at 12VDC. You should dial down your P/S to 10V or close to that. Seems if they are driven by 12V, it shortens the life on the LDO power regulator in the pixel.

I've got a 12x50 pixel tree using them.  I'm running them at 11.1v After checking the power supply from in my Pixel One and discovering it was 12.5v which ruined the first string I plugged in.

Heading out to dial it down to 10v :)

I hooked up my nodes to a eight leg starburst and in prelim testing the fifth star blew and also ended up back loading to my E6804 and blew the board as well. I will dial down my voltage to 10 V and let everybody know what happens. Is Ray doing anything about this

Where has this information been revealed? I would like to see and understand the source of this before monkeying around with voltages on my lights as I've had no failures or issues with them to date.

The 2811 chip is a 5V chip. Ray designed a PCB for the 2811 that has a LDO voltage regulator that steps the voltage down on each pixel to 5V. So as long as you have power out to your last pixel, dialing the voltage down some percentage from 12V is going to keep that LDO from overheating and shortening the life of the part.

The 2811 chip is a 5V chip. Ray designed a PCB for the 2811 that has a LDO voltage regulator that steps the voltage down on each pixel to 5V. So as long as you have power out to your last pixel, dialing the voltage down some percentage from 12V is going to keep that LDO from overheating and shortening the life of the part.

YES!  and the regulators he says he is using have a max required headroom of 2vdc to maintain regulation.  Typical is 1.5v of required headroom... So drop the voltage... save the pixels!

I just gave you a difinitive answer...  Up to you what you do with the info..

damn.. no edit.. Definitive.   sure wish I could spell right the first time.

to go one further.. thru them all on white.. start lowering the voltage.. watch with a meter at the power supply or first pixel input... lower the input voltage until the last pixel in the string starts to change color temp or you reach 6.5vdc at the input of the string.  Whichever comes first. 

Turn them all on white.. not thru..   Where is that darn edit!

I just gave you a difinitive answer... Up to you what you do with the info..

damn.. no edit.. Definitive. sure wish I could spell right the first time.to go one further.. thru them all on white.. start lowering the voltage.. watch with a meter at the power supply or first pixel input... lower the input voltage until the last pixel in the string starts to change color temp or you reach 6.5vdc at the input of the string. Whichever comes first.

Turn them all on white.. not thru.. Where is that darn edit!

Apologies plasmadrive - my post sounded way to negative. I was just a bit stressed out between running late with setup and this issue coming up.

I do appreciate all the follow up you have done along with figuring this out and providing a solution.

Apologies plasmadrive - my post sounded way to negative. I was just a bit stressed out between running late with setup and this issue coming up. I do appreciate all the follow up you have done along with figuring this out and providing a solution.

No worries.. Just trying to help keep everyone up and running..   Lots of speculation on these pixel failures but few answers it seems.  Ray is fixing the problem but it will be a bit late for most... so hopefully my suggestions will help keep them alive.. 

Now it they would just bring that darn edit back.. I sure wish I could spell with my fingers... :P

Hey guys am I missing something i took the voltage at the out put of the power supply it was just under 12v so with my starburst set to all white turned the dial down on the power supply to and its only letting bring it to 10.3 volts is there something i am missing.

Ralph 

I've been reading on other boards that a lot of people are taking them down to 8 volts. now being a first year pixel person thought I should mention this.

now if i take the voltage reading at the end of my 1 star burst Im getting 8.4 volts. so im 10.20 volts at the power supply, and 8.4 volts at the end of my 1st star.