Light-O-Rama Forums

Lighted Walmart Candy Canes

NJJohn

Good evening all and Merry Christmas.  I'm hoping that with all the clever minds out there, someone has come up with a good relatively inexpensive idea for staking the Walmart Candy Canes (Approx 24" tall) into the ground.  I live in an area that freauently hashigh winds and the little plastic stakes that come with them usually break with a good gust of wind.  I have about twenty of these that I want to display and I am lookng for suggestions for securing them.  Thank you all in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

John

HI,

Have you thought about some Rebar over at home depot? they sell it in all size poles from 6" to 8 feet.

Then you get some flower wire (in the crafts section of walmart) and wire the tube to the rebar after driving the rebar into the ground. :)

Three words.

Candy Cane Spinners

mqdefault.jpg

My candy cane spinners are 8 feet off the ground and get plenty of attention.

Yes, they are zip tied to the metal frame.

HI,

Have you thought about some Rebar over at home depot? they sell it in all size poles from 6" to 8 feet.

Then you get some flower wire (in the crafts section of walmart) and wire the tube to the rebar after driving the rebar into the ground. :)

Thanks for the idea.  I didnt realize rebar comes in that short of lengths.  Just checked Home Depot website and found out I can get 1/2" rebar in 24" lengths.  I should have looked there first before bothering the community but if I had done that, I wouldnt have found out about Brian's and Ken's Candy Cane Spinners. 

Thanks for the help.

John

Three words.

Candy Cane Spinners

mqdefault.jpg

My candy cane spinners are 8 feet off the ground and get plenty of attention.

Yes, they are zip tied to the metal frame.

Ken, Brian,

I love the idea of Candy Cane Spinners.  How do you maintain the power to the candy canes while they spin without the wires getting tangled?

John

• Like 1

Ahh...you got to love newbies.    The canes don't actually spin.  In the same way that a mega tree doesn't actually spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNitlysyC4k

I wondered oh you keep all those wires on a mega tree from getting tangled when it spins LOL. I can't actually believe I asked that question. I'll chalk it up to it was late at night and I was tired. Yeah that's my story and I'm sticking to it. This will be my third year with a mega tree. I should have know better.

Thank you

John

Since the subject of the candy cane spinners was brought up, I am trying them this year I got to wondering if condensation and if you need to put drain holes like the strobes?

Thanks for the help

Mike

I'd definitely advise drilling a drain hole at the bottom of the canes that are mounted in an orientation that water can get into the open end.  Snow isn't much of a problem, but they will accumulate water if you get a lot of rain.

• Like 1

I wondered oh you keep all those wires on a mega tree from getting tangled when it spins LOL. I can't actually believe I asked that question. I'll chalk it up to it was late at night and I was tired. Yeah that's my story and I'm sticking to it. This will be my third year with a mega tree. I should have know better.

Thank you

John

LOL and I thought you were just joking!

Since the subject of the candy cane spinners was brought up, I am trying them this year I got to wondering if condensation and if you need to put drain holes like the strobes?

Thanks for the help

Mike

Tape over any openings also.

I did my spinner a bit differently.  I like my props to break down so I can store them in the attic, which has a relatively small opening.  So I made a central hub:

canebuild1.jpg

And inserted PVC "spokes", painted red for good measure and slotted so the cords can come through:

canehub.jpg

Then the canes just slip right on - takes about 10 minutes to set the whole thing in from banging in the post, attaching the hub, and slipping on the canes:

1456635_532810496815505_411525426_n.jpg

• Like 2

I'd definitely advise drilling a drain hole at the bottom of the canes that are mounted in an orientation that water can get into the open end. Snow isn't much of a problem, but they will accumulate water if you get a lot of rain.

• Like 1