Light-O-Rama Forums

10W LED RGB Floods on my Mega Tree and the Mega Arch

Santas Helper

Well after many hours of modifying the 10W LED RGB floods, building cat5 cable to power each color of them and mounting them. I have the mega tree tower done!!!

15 floods on the 30' tower (as well as the 14' tall arch). Each color of each flood is on it's own channel so I can control each color of each flood. This year was a test so next year I will hack the tower to evenly space the floods. But for now, they are up and tests are showing good, for now anyway.

Here is my photo bucket shots for anyone interested.

http://s245.photobucket.com/user/frightnight_photos/library/Christmas%20Lights?sort=3&page=1

DSC05056_zpsb5159f2c.jpg

DSC05051_zps27a15834.jpg

My arch is included in the pics but the floods aren't hooked up to the controller yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Can't wait to see that thing do some chases. :)

Enjoy!!!

Tom

;) 

Looks good Tom now you can have a beer or two.

Believe me. I had a beer or two doing it. :D

Thanks guys.

Now comes the sequencing. Opens a new door. Here goes a few more beers. ;)

I'll provide video when everything else is up and going.

On a different note, I did a chase sequence this evening on each color tonight and it looked like a colored firework flare (red flare, green flare, blue flare) as it went up or down. Might be something to think about for those doing 4th of July or fire sticks. It's brighter than the mega tree LEDs but not too bright to watch, from a 50' distance.

Tom,

As usual, great job......

Did you have to carry all the strands up the tower?/ or do you have a winch system??

Side question,

What are you snowflakes made of?

how big are they?

single channels?

Tom,

As usual, great job......

Did you have to carry all the strands up the tower?/ or do you have a winch system??

Side question,

What are you snowflakes made of?

how big are they?

single channels?

Dave,

I have a pulley system to raise the strands (2 mega strands at a time to keep from getting tangled). One person on the ground connecting lights to the rope. Another person at the top connecting the lights (standing on a Rohn25 platform).

I use the pulley system to raise my strand of strobes at the very last (haven't done that yet) which can be done from the ground.

As for the cat5 cables for the LED RGB floods, I climb up for each one. The cable goes thru the center of the tower so the pulley system isn't good for that. Plus I have to connect each one by hand so climbing the tower is the best option for those.

As for the snowflakes, I purchased these a few years ago from a limited purchase thing.

If I remember right, they are around 12 to 16 inches in diameter.

I replaced the incan strands with white LED strands

There are made of PVC type plastic.

And yes, each one has it's one channel.

Thanks again guys.

This evening I will be pushing to get the mega arch connected to controllers and lit up for a quick test tonight. We will see...

Looking forward to seeing some video, looks great!

Thanks Jim,

I can't help but think with the thread you and I were on about reversing these floods, that some of your thoughts/suggestions eased the planning part in making this work.

So I thank you for your past inputs on your trials with these floods.

Very cool! I might drop by to see it in person, I need to talk to you more about the DC stuff also, ..... I think you maybe right my wife is going to whoop you LOL I think I need a bigger front yard as well, what an upgrade  :D

Okay, got the 10W LED RGB Mega Arch connected.

Again, 15 floods with 3 colors independently controlled thru 45 channels of 3 LOR DC controllers.

I have uploaded more pics on Photo Bucket but below is a couple.

http://s245.photobucket.com/user/frightnight_photos/library/Christmas%20Lights?sort=3&page=1

DSC05066_zps2528f39b.jpg

DSC05065_zpsbb8f6f7f.jpg

DSC05064_zps3441d4fd.jpg

DSC05072_zpsd22f8e8a.jpg

And sorry, some pics aren't that great. Between my camera settings and the cold front/serious winds, I wasn't wasting any time. just wanted to see it in the test mode for this evening.

Thanks again and hope you enjoy.

Tom

• Like 1

Have you switched to sunglasses or a welding helmet to watch yet?!  B)   I wish I could come see it.

Actually Jim,

The pics were taken with the welding helmet up for a brief moment. :ph34r:  My wife suggested sunscreen but I told her I'm a man and a risk taker. :D

Wished you could come visit too. It would be cool. B)

Well for a test, here is a video of the arch in action.

A little tweaking to be done but for the most part, lookin good.

Sorry for the grainy video.

th_MOV05082_zps08d0b90e.jpg

Well for a test, here is a video of the arch in action.

A little tweaking to be done but for the most part, lookin good.

Sorry for the grainy video.

th_MOV05082_zps08d0b90e.jpg

Click on the pic. it's a link to the video on Photobucket. A couple more test videos on there too.

Enjoy.