Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Light Ribbons

jcharles*14

I am looking for a good way to outline the doors and windows of our house. I am thinking of using rgb light ribbons to do this. Preferably inexpensive. I was also thin king of using it with the light o Rama rgb controller.

I was watching a video on YouTube and it showed a flexible 5050 rgb ribbon and you could plug and play and cut the ribbon to the certain length you would need. This will be the first year using my light o Rama residential 16 chan controller. With everything networked. And I am hoping to use rgb ribbons for Halloween next month. Nothing too fancy for Halloween

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ok . Yes it was the 24 Channel DC Controller. So since the ribbons state they are rgb then I should not have a problem connecting them to the controller and having different color variations

This is the vendor I deal with for RGB ribbon.  The 150 roll is plenty bright and less current than the 300/roll you mentioned.  Make sure you get common anode (+).  Discard the included controller. 

You'll also need one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer/dp/B009EIANT2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1380252322&sr=8-9&keywords=12v+power+supply

Scubado, where do you buy your ribbons from?. Thanks for information about the power supply. I was looking at that same power supply yesterday and was going to use it.

I guess I will have to confirm with the eBay vendor if these are dumb strips and if they are super bright. Someone mentioned those were dumb strips.

All I want to do is get the right ribbon to use with the dc controller.

I do not want to control each individual light on the rgb strip. I am using these in segments. Ex: outlining a window or lining the eve. And I want it to where the whole rgb strip can change different colors. And that could be controlled by the dc controller .

Scubado, where do you buy your ribbons from?. Thanks for information about the power supply. I was looking at that same power supply yesterday and was going to use it.

I guess I will have to confirm with the eBay vendor if these are dumb strips and if they are super bright. Someone mentioned those were dumb strips.

All I want to do is get the right ribbon to use with the dc controller.

I do not want to control each individual light on the rgb strip. I am using these in segments. Ex: outlining a window or lining the eve. And I want it to where the whole rgb strip can change different colors. And that could be controlled by the dc controller .

Sorry, forgot to paste the link:  http://stores.ebay.com/goods-wholesaler?_rdc=1

Thanks I'll take a look at that sellers stock.

The one eBay vendor I was talking to said not to extend the 5 meter strip because the power would decrease. Ok so I will just start a new ribbon.

However I need to connect a rgb wire to reach my dc controller for each 5 meter strip (1 strip will be one channel) . I am placing the controller as close to the center of all these connections as I can.

I will at least need to run the cable about 30 feet to reach the dc controller.

What kind of wiring should I get and is this possible?

18 gauge rgb maybe? I need to get the power to the strips. Somehow

Thanks I'll take a look at that sellers stock.

The one eBay vendor I was talking to said not to extend the 5 meter strip because the power would decrease. Ok so I will just start a new ribbon.

However I need to connect a rgb wire to reach my dc controller for each 5 meter strip (1 strip will be one channel) . I am placing the controller as close to the center of all these connections as I can.

I will at least need to run the cable about 30 feet to reach the dc controller.

What kind of wiring should I get and is this possible?

18 gauge rgb maybe? I need to get the power to the strips. Somehow

Ideally, pigtail the ribbon with 20g stranded wire, then run 18g wire to the controller.  You don't want stiff wire soldered to the ribbon, soldering then trying to install the ribbon usually will wreck the ribbon at or near the solder pads.  This caused me a lot of grief this year.  You can have more than one ribbon on a single rgb set.  Apply power to both ribbons, don't connect ribbon 2 to the end of ribbon 1.

I also recommend laying the ribbon in low oder silicon, the adhesive back doesn't protect the backside of the ribbon even if not exposed directly to rain or moisture.  landscape ribbon failed after one year or less of use.

How do I pig tail the ribbon exactly. I can't picture how to do it exactly. 

For starters : outlining windows.

Would this mean I don't have to solder?

Are you referring to those snap connectors?

Edited by jcharles*14

Maybe you mean these: http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/4-Wire-Waterproof-Connector-Pigtail-Set-20-Black-18awg-4W-WP-PT-20.htm

I attached an image I had drawn. Please view the attachment.

#1 On the curves of the window. Can I use Snap connectors to connect the strips together, instead of soldering?

#2 On the Upper right, maybe install a Female RGB pigtail. Then Connect a Male RGB pigtail (18G) and run to the dc controller. That male pigtail may have to run about 30 feet.

#3 The Dc controller will be in an enclosed box with Power supply. Looking almost just like this: http://www.store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CMB24D-RGB-DC-Controller-ReadyToGO-No-Assembly-CMB24D-RGB-RTG.htm

It has Female RGB pigtails coming out of the enclosure.

#4 The male RGB pigtail which will run  from the ribbon TO controller (about 30 feet distance approx. Maybe even less.).   These cable will have to run under the eave to hide the cable.

I think I may almost have the plan down (being a Newbie to all this). I have been doing a lot of  research and checking out videos and tutorials and forums.

Does this look like an appropriate way of setting all this up?

Also taking into consideration of centralization of the enclosure, wire lengths, gauge, and power requirements.

I really do appreciate everyones opinions and sharing of ideas. Thanks

post-12793-0-24616700-1380330968_thumb.j

Edited by jcharles*14

You must solder!  those push on connectors are crap!  They may work at first, but changes in weather will cause them to fail!  Soldering outside in winter sucks!  A lot depends on how you design and install your ribbons.  Once your wires are soldered onto the ribbon, you have to be very careful not to stress the ribbon at the solder pads.  Light wire will flex more and less stress on the pads.  In my situation, I had to solder first, then install the ribbon.  If your able to mount the ribbon first, then solder wires on, you'll have less of an issue. 

At your joints, you can use stranded cat5 wire.

Edited by scubado

At stated...solder is the best way to go. The solderless I wouldn't say are junk...but that depends on where you plan on using them. I've used them many times, but I live in Southern Calif where winter in 75 degrees, sunny and occasionally rains. If you live in a freezing, wet winter area...solderless probably not the way to go.

ok.  I'm going to worry about using solder or connectors later. I'm going to wait for my items to get delivered By next week , so I know what I am dealing with. I just placed an order for an LED RGB Ribbon. I bought 1 to see if I will like how it works and have a hands on.  I need 10 Rolls exactly for my project. I bought 1 because I did not want to take a risk and waste money if I had bought all 10 and I didn't like them.

Now for the RGB strips I don't want to permanently mount them. I will safely store them when I am done. I am wondering how am I going to attach them to a window? I know there is 3m tape on them. It is probably permanent tape. I wonder if I could put easily removable mounting tape to the back of the strip?

I need to put them on something I can easily take down.   Any Ideas?

Also, Is 18 AWG  4 conductor  Wire ok to run about 30 feet from the strip to the dc controller?

Thanks Guys