Light-O-Rama Forums

New with a few questions!

NV1985

Hi everyone! 

This is our first year doing this.  We live in a small town and as far as I can tell we will be the ONLY one in town that will be doing music to lights.  I have a feeling it will be quite exciting for everyone.   :D    We do lights every year, but nothing like this! 

I've been watching different How-To videos and shows online and its all a bit overwhelming.  I was wondering if a few of you seasoned pros can answer some questions and maybe just give me a heads up on what to expect the first year.

A few questions...

1) How early in the year do you start setting up your lights? (and do you set up your lights and then start working on the sequencing?)  My husband is convinced we can wait and start after Thanksgiving and I keep looking at him like he is nuts.  lol

2) How difficult is the sequencing? (sequencing seems to be the "scary" part)   And do you use any programs that make it easier (Madrix) or do you always use the LOR software?  

3) Can you recommend a good FM Transmitter.  We need to order one. 

I'm going to read the tips and tricks pinned at the top of this category tonight, but anything anyone might want to add would be great!   Or if you have any how-to videos I will totally watch them!  I'm trying to soak in as much information as I can.   :wacko:

Thank you for reading!   

1. I start setting my display up Oct 15th. It takes me six weeks, one of which is my vacation and then my days off. But I have a pretty big display on top of the LOR show.

2. You are already 3 months behind on sequencing. More if you are using any RGB stuff.

3. I have a Ramsey 25B and it has been flawless for almost 10 years. The EDM seems to be the xmitter of choice these days and I would probably go that route if I have to get another. Avoid the Whole House Transmitter like the plague.

Hi everyone! 

This is our first year doing this.  We live in a small town and as far as I can tell we will be the ONLY one in town that will be doing music to lights.  I have a feeling it will be quite exciting for everyone.   :D    We do lights every year, but nothing like this! 

I've been watching different How-To videos and shows online and its all a bit overwhelming.  I was wondering if a few of you seasoned pros can answer some questions and maybe just give me a heads up on what to expect the first year.

A few questions...

1)  My husband is convinced we can wait and start after Thanksgiving and I keep looking at him like he is nuts.  lol

He is right on time...for 2014 then...

2) How difficult is the sequencing? (sequencing seems to be the "scary" part)   And do you use any programs that make it easier (Madrix) or do you always use the LOR software?  

Any new software is difficult until you get past that learning curve...again..he is on target for getting it done for his 2014 display...

I have two Ramsey's ( I have two displays)...or like Brian said, and EDM...DO NOT GET A WHOLE HOUSE TRANSMITTER!!!

I'm going to read the tips and tricks pinned at the top of this category tonight, but anything anyone might want to add would be great!  

I take it this is not the only time you have been "looking at him like he is nuts"...   :P

Most important thing...have fun...don't let it stress you, because then it is not worth it...

pick songs YOU like, because you are going to hear them a couple hundred (if not thousand) times the next few months...

Edited by jimswinder

best advice is picture the way you want your display,ie props like mega tree mini trees arches ect. then draw that in the visualizer,,,, and start sequencing now!!!!!!! it will varying amonts of time to sequence a song, from 20 hours a minute to 40 hours a minute(that is no typo either). if you start small say 32 to 48 channels and have your layout simple you may pull one off by December. Good luck and welcome

Most veterans work year round on their displays. During the current season, I'm already thinking of what to do for the next year because the display is already up and running. Then in January I might start implementing those new add-ons/changes.

Since you have lights for static display, just set it up as normal but figure out how you want each segment (roof, windows, yard, fence, etc...) and lay it out on the sequence.

If you are wanting something this year...You can purchase a couple sequences already done (LOR sells them) and build your display to the sequence. They are very good for timing of the songs which takes the most time out of building a sequence. Also, lots of great folks here share their work so look around and see what fits your style of music.

Transmitter wise, the Ramsey 25B is great as previously mentioned. I use the Eclipse-4000 Mobile Black Box for a little more power. Both work great!!!

Hope that helps.

We have all been in the same situation and know what it's like. And we had help along the way as well so don't be afraid to ask questions. But do the homework/reading on the "search" function here as well. Lots of great knowledge.

Tom

Some additional food for thought:  LOR is not just for the holidays.  Incorporate landscape lighting year round, the possibilities are endless.  This gives you experience throughout the year and a head start to your big events.

Welcome to the addiction!

• Like 1

I don't know if I would say starting 11/24 or later will work or not but I do believe you will be able to put something together this season if:

1) you are able to use the LOR sequencer software effectively.

2) you are not planning on using or adding any complex elements.

3) you get started now.

For me the sequencer was pretty easy to learn and use. I have a background of using software for things like movies and pictures (Adobe products) audio mixing and basic office software (word,excel,Visio etc). I would say if you or your husband does any of those things the sequencer will be picked up quickly. DON'T FORGET TO LOOK AT THE VIDEO TUTORIALS!!

If you are just going to be using your normal holiday lights and nothing complex like rgb lights, Cosmic Color Ribbon's or pixels then you will just need to match the lights to the music. I would suggest buying the advanced software and make use of the vu and beat wizards. It will help save lots of time and this single wizard (beat) could be all you need for a song. Look at the tutorials for these wizards.

You can download the demo software from LOR and start playing. It will not allow the use of the above wizards but you can get started and those sequences you make in the demo will work once you get the full program.

You asked about other software such as madrix. This program is for pixels. Large amounts of pixels. For turning on and off the lights all you need is S3. Again, I would recommend the advanced as it allows more controllers and the wizards for when you start getting larger displays. LOR sells superstar that is for cosmic color ribbons and bulbs but you don't have to use it to control those devices. It is to make it easier to control those devices...I have 3 ccr's but don't use the superstar SW.

I would also suggest using the visualizer. This one program (which is part of the lor s3 suite) allows you to see how your lights will look in real time. Take a picture of your house, put it in visualizer, start adding your lights to the picture and away you go. Watch the tutorial on this and you will be off and running.

As for the fm transmitter...everyone seems to like EDM but that puppy costs more than a LOR controller. I went with a cheaper china czh-05b. Purchase through amazon for $60 or so depending on current sales. It does put out a lot of power so I had to reduce the output which was just a settings adjustment on the unit, the included instructions told me how. It seems to be working just fine so far. It is almost a year old. BE SURE TO SEARCH FORUMS ON TRANSMITTERS. Don't get in trouble with the FCC.

I started planning my show last OCT. This will be my first year. I have 4 singing faces, 3 CCRs, 900 dumb rgb lights on the trees and bushes, 6 rgb pumpkins, 10 rgb floods for static displays, 5 pairs of led eyes (in bats). I am running dmx using a holiday coro dongle (1 universe) and the LOR network for 2 controllers and the 3 ccr's at 500k speed (due to the ccr's. I had lag at 115k). I have made 2 shows for Halloween with one being 68 minutes long ( 26 current popular songs) and the other 32 minutes long (11 traditional Halloween songs)

The hardest part for me has been building the elements.

So if you are using your basic holiday lights and have experience with other similar SW then you should be able to make a few songs before the holidays.

Good luck and as others have said...don't be afraid to ask questions. Search the web, watch the tutorials and experiment with the sequencer as quick as possible.

Thank you all for your replies!  A few more from me...

Does CCR stand for Cosmic Color Ribbon?  (I'm trying to make sure I understand what I'm reading in the forumns lol)

And what differences does it make when using RGB vs LED vs Incandescent lights?   We don't have anything fancy (or plans for anything fancy anytime soon...though I did watch the videos on those Cosmic Ribbons and those are awesome!) 

We are only using some LED strands and then some of the older (I believe incandescent) lights, these should be ok to use?  The only "big" things we might try is a talking face and a mega tree, which we will make ourselves.   

We ordered the controller & software today, so hoping to start messing with it in a few days!  Do most of you use the visualizer throughout the year to make your sequences and then set up your display accordingly?  

Yes on the CCRs.

RGB takes a DC controller because of the lower DC volts. LED and ican strands use the standard controller. Some store bought LED strands won't fade with controllers but will turn off and on okay.

Yes, icans and LED strands will be great with the controller.

Mega trees can be simple to put up and use.

I myself use the visualizer all the time. It's my layout of my display and pretty much resembles everything I want to see when going live.

Hope this helps. I know others will chime in with their thoughts/experience.

Tom

Alot use the visualizer, but some still use the animation window, they both work pretty good, although the visualizer will look more realistic because you use an actual picture of your house etc.. You said you ordered the software today, you can actually download it right now and install it. It will run in demo mode until you get your license key, but when you do get the key, just register with it and then you'll have the full benefits of whatever level you chose. Welcome to the addiction btw.

Hi everyone! 

A few questions...

1) How early in the year do you start setting up your lights? (and do you set up your lights and then start working on the sequencing?)  My husband is convinced we can wait and start after Thanksgiving and I keep looking at him like he is nuts.  lol

I'm going to read the tips and tricks pinned at the top of this category tonight, but anything anyone might want to add would be great!   Or if you have any how-to videos I will totally watch them!  I'm trying to soak in as much information as I can.   :wacko:

Thank you for reading!

Also my first year doing the light show and like you, have been decorating with many lights for years and live in a small town where this is gonna be the greatest thing even being basic. I purchased LOR about a month ago and have been playing with the lights since lol.

A lot of this is like a new language and will take some time. Like others have said already, there is still some time to get something together, especially since you already have a lot of lights. Being new to sequencing, I'm not attempting to add to my 1st show to save me from looking horrible. Just need time to figure it out. Though pricier, I've opted to buy the ready to go sequences on LOR website for now and also a 2nd controller.

So, don't try and do too much for this season although its hard for me say (since I keep coming up with more and more and more and more ideas I want to do now, but really am trying to hard to do it next year, lol).

I bought the FM transmitter from LOR and haven't tried it from a car yet ( on tonight's list) but from a house radio. Reading recent forums, I may have made a wrong purchase, but I don't know too much about those in the first place. I don't know what the difference is between this one and others.

Good Luck

I would recommend WoWLights if you are just now getting started.  Go with a 16-32 channel starter kit, use their sequences and layout.  Then come January start working on what you really want to do (RGB/CCR/etc.).  Trying to get it done now might be overwhelming.  Going that route gives you something for this year (starter kit includes 5 free sequences) and a starting point for next year.

Welcome to the excitement!  

You've got the best possible advice already (above) from some of the best in this hobby.   I've already learned a LOT from them and they're giving it to you straight.     Have fun - you can't hardly go wrong. 

Its very late to get started, but I humbly recommend that you still do.  Two or so prepackaged sequences, the S3 software, the RS-485 adapter and ready built controller (or even two) will get you rolling with your existing light strings and computer.  In January you'll have a much better idea of how to do it again next year.    Best yet, the experience you glean from this year will better help you understand the information in the threads all next year.   

Welcome aboard and happy lighting!

Best yet, the experience you glean from this year will better help you understand the information in the threads all next year.   

And this is probably the biggest reason to do something this year.

If you don't, it will eat on you all year long.  

It's only September. You can do it!!!

One thing we all have in common at this time of year, we don't have our lights up. :)

Alot use the visualizer, but some still use the animation window, they both work pretty good, although the visualizer will look more realistic because you use an actual picture of your house etc.. You said you ordered the software today, you can actually download it right now and install it. It will run in demo mode until you get your license key, but when you do get the key, just register with it and then you'll have the full benefits of whatever level you chose. Welcome to the addiction btw.

Oh Great!  I didn't know that, thanks!  I'll start messing with it  :D  :D

Just some quick advice.  From what I read in your initial post, I was in your shoes last year.  Had a large static display, but wanted to add dancing lights with music.  It's a bit overwhelming, but keep your goals for this year realistic and you'll be OK.  You also need to decide how "fancy" you want to get. 

My display is fairly large physically, so I intend to start setting up the basics right around Nov 1, maybe even a week earlier.  I only get to work on weekends, plus I'll be taking every Friday off work starting Nov 1st.  It'll be 8 hours/day of work and I'll still scramble.  I didn't track it, but I bet I spent 40-50 hours last year setting up. 

Sequencing is hard, but you have to dive into it.  This is where I talk about getting "fancy".  I can easily see where people spend 20 hours per minute of music.  But I only had 16 channels last year and 32 this year.  I want the lights to look good, but I keep my sequencing fairly simple.  So I'm spending about 10-15 hours for a 3 minute song.  They won't be YouTube sensations, but they'll make the kids smile, and that's all I want.

Transmitter from Ebay works great.

Get started now.  Make sure you have enough SPT wire (trust me, you don't), and all the other supplies you need.  Make a layout and stick to it.  And get busy sequencing.  Most of all, have fun!!  That's what this is all about, don't let it stress you (I say that as I worry I'm too far behind)

Downloaded the program....O.M.G.....mind blown... :blink: .I don't even know where to start!!  I see many hours at the computer in my future.... 

I see many hours at the computer in my future.... 

You have no idea.... how many, many, many hours....

Welcome to the brain workout club. :)

• Like 1

Lets not forget to get a "kill a watt" meter.  You will need to make sure you do not overload a channel or a controller.  One of the most important tools you can have, in my opinion.

• Like 1